Ebleskivers
  Re: (...)
At the risk of sounding like a salesperson.....I was shopping online at Williams Sonoma, looking for cookbook holders for my daughters for Christmas, and they have this special pancake pan on their homepage to make ebelskivers. I am sure they are not new to most of you, but I have never heard of these. The front shows Pecan Pumpkin Filled morsels. These seem too wonderful. Not to mention I absolutely love to say "ebelskiver"! Darn that internet!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Ebleskivers by chef_Tab (At the risk of sound...)
I had to pick that pan up when I saw the video online for filled abelskivers. I've only used it once but the family loved it. I guess I'm just lazy at breakfast time, would rather use my enormous electric skillet and crank out a ton of pancakes than spend tons of time trying to get the abelskivers done. I think the pan needs to be used more to become more seasoned because I had several sticking problems.
  Re: Re: Ebleskivers by ryansnurse (I had to pick that p...)
I do not normally cook breakfast either. Is your pan the Nordicware brand that Williams Sonoma has pictured? Did you butter the little wells? I am so glad you told me this, I was actually thinking of putting it on my wish list. It's just those pumpkin and pecan filled ones that have me drooling.
Theresa

Re: Re: Ebleskivers by chef_Tab (I do not normally co...)
Okay...we're even. I went out of curiosity. It's like an alcoholic going into a bar. Where's that spatula!!!!! Oh, I know...at Williams Sonoma!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Ebleskivers by chef_Tab (At the risk of sound...)
Being 1/4 Danish these were a grand treat when I was a little girl. My Grandmother would get up extra early on the mornings she planned to treat my Grandfather (and me) with Aebelskiver. We would have contests to see who could eat the most! I think Granddad let me win .

This is the recipe my Grandmother used - and I make them now and then for Bob and Jennifer. My kids loved them too.

DANISH ABELSKIVER

3 ½ C Flour
5 Large eggs, separated
¼ C Sugar
2 C Milk, scalded and cooled
½ TO 2/3 C Butter, melted
1 Cake or package yeast
Grated rind of 1 lemon or 1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
Ground cardamom (to taste)(this is a MUST to be authentic)

Put flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. Into the well put the egg yolks, sugar, 1 ¾ C. milk, and the melted butter. Work together with a spoon.

Dissolve the yeast in the remaining ¼ C milk and add along with the flavoring and the salt. Beat until smooth.

Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture. Set aside to rise until doubled.

Cook as usual making sure the pan is well buttered. Serve with an assortment of jams, jellies, and powdered sugar.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Ebleskivers by Harborwitch (Being 1/4 Danish the...)
So, Sharon, do you have the special pan?
Theresa

Re: Re: Ebleskivers by chef_Tab (So, Sharon, do you h...)
Oh yes! I bought it in Solvang when I was about 19 - geeze I've had it over 40 years! Oh my I feel old
  Re: Re: Ebleskivers by Harborwitch (Oh yes! I bought it...)
so is it cast iron? My guess is it cannot possibly be some sort of non-stick stuff.
Theresa

Re: Re: Ebleskivers by chef_Tab (so is it cast iron? ...)
Cast iron! My Grandmother used knitting needles to turn hers! I use a fondue fork or a bamboo skewer to turn mine. Hmmm, I saw the commercials and thought "why didn't I think of that?"!
Oh well, must make them again soon.
  Re: Re: Ebleskivers by Harborwitch (Cast iron! My Grand...)
I think I ended up getting a lodge pan instead of the nordicware one. I looked in the store and the nordicware one was a lot lighter weight than the lodge ones. I was worried that the outside of the abelskivers would burn in a thinner pan so I went with the thicker lodge. I used canola oil to grease each hole when I made them. I think the ones I was making were stuffed with apples and that could have lead to my sticking problem. I'm sure once the pan is well seasoned, it will be awesome like all cast iron pans. Maybe I'll make some tomorrow for the kids!