18 Hour bread - The NEW version!
  Re: (...)
On the Today Show yesterday they had Mark Bittman demonstrating his new recipe for Speedy No-Knead Bread. He also had a Whole Wheat loaf that looked interesting.

Speedy No-Knead Bread

Yield: One big loaf

Time: 5 to 6 hours
INGREDIENTS
3 cups bread flour
1 packet (1/4 ounce) instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Oil as needed

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Lightly oil a work surface and place dough on it; fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest at least 30 minutes more.

3. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 3 to 4 quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under the dough and put it into pot, seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Fast No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread
By Mark Bittman

Yield: One loaf

Time: 5 to 6 hours

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup coarse corn meal
• 1/2 cup whole rye flour
• 1 teaspoon instant yeast
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• Oil as needed

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine flours, corn meal, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Oil a standard loaf pan (8 or 9 x4; nonstick works well); lightly oil your hands and shape the dough into a rough rectangle. Put it in the pan, pressing it out to the edges. Brush the top with a little more oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at least minutes more.

3. When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake about 45 minutes, or until the loaf reaches an internal temperature of 210 F. Remove the bread from the pan and cool on a rack.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by Harborwitch (On the Today Show ye...)
Isn't it just so interesting that there seems to be no end to the variations of this wonderful bread? It's good to know that you don't really have to wait the full 18 hours to get good results. The only thing that I'm wondering: is the flavor as developed in only 4 hours vs. the 18 hour fermentation? Guess I'll just have to find out!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by Mare749 (Isn't it just so int...)
I have GOT to get a smaller cast iron skillet! Mine is WAY too big for the bread...been there, done that.

It's so weird this works in such a shortened time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by Gourmet_Mom (I have GOT to get a ...)
I can't imagine the difference in the fermentation either, Maryann - maybe if I'm in a big hurry one day, I might give it a try. (but will copy both )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by cjs (I can't imagine the ...)
I'm with you and Maryann, Jean. I can't imagine it could have the distictive flavor of the 18hour. But still it's cool to have another style of the same recipe.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by farnfam (I'm with you and Mar...)
Incredible how many variations of the "same" recipe exist in the world...I am glad I reread the first post of the thread. I thought for sure it was a recipe about me when I misread the amount it makes...could have sworn it said "One big oaf" but it actually says "One big LOAF" DUH! on my part!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by firechef (Incredible how many ...)
You are an OAF...but a sweet OAF...LOL!

If you don't get it....Think Beauty and the Beast...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by Gourmet_Mom (You are an OAF...but...)
Hey don't make me think it's my day off...I only worked 9 hours today!!!

Beauty and the Beast??? Is that a new bread???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by firechef (Hey don't make me th...)
......"Beauty and the Beast??? Is that a new bread???".....

No,LJ it's a side by side refrigerator freezer thingy
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: 18 Hour bread - The NEW version! by farnfam (......"Beauty and th...)
Oh...that explains a lot. I have been so tired and out of it that I put my sugar in the refrigerator this morning when I made my cup of coffee! I did a split shift today working 6am to 1:30pm and again from 3pm to about 10:30pm. Left the milk on the counter and dumped away 3/4 of a gallon and with gas finally cheaper than milk around here that is not a good thing!