Hey, Jean!
  Re: (...)
I saw this on foodgawkers and immediately thought of you and your ricotto(sp?). I thought you may be interested...ever hear of labney cheese ? It sounds really good. When I try the ricotto experiment, I may just have to try this, too!

OH MY! I didn't see this before! Can you get your hands on raw milk? If so, try this! I would love to make my own fresh mozzarella , but I can't get raw milk...yet! Shoot, I couldn't get the site to work...here: http://www.playingwithfireandwater.com/f...rella.html
  Re: Hey, Jean! by Gourmet_Mom (I saw this on foodga...)
I made mozzarella years ago, with a thermophilic starter that we got from a cheesemaking supply house. Then the whey made ricotta! Yum.

That Labney cheese sounds really good. I'll have to grab some Greek yogurt next trip to Trader Joe's. I've got a gallon of ogranic whole milk to make ricotta - tomorrow's project.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Hey, Jean! by Harborwitch (I made mozzarella ye...)
I thought they both looked really good. Unfortunately, the mozz. will have to wait until I find a milk source. Surely, some of those farm kids I teach have a milk cow....HMMMM? Here's hoping! I won't be able to have my own until we retire. Those babies need milking twice a day and I don't have that much commitment to sustainable living...LOL!

Until then, I'll look forward to making ricotta and the labney. The addition of the cheese to OO with thyme sounded REALLY good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hey, Jean! by Gourmet_Mom (I thought they both ...)
Remember Linda? She posted a recipe for mozz. on another forum - sounds doable...if I could just find some rennet around here. I keep forgetting every time we get to the big city, darn it.

I'll post the recipe/notes if you want Daphne, but it's 4 pages, so won't unless you'd like it. (I don't have to type it, just copy and paste, it's just a long hummer.)

I'm off to check out 'labney' - thanks for posting the info for us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey, Jean! by cjs (Remember Linda? She ...)
Quote:

..if I could just find some rennet around here. I keep forgetting every time we get to the big city, darn it.

If *I* can find rennet, you should be able to do so. Around here, it's available at farm-supply stores, so going to the big city could be a move in the wrong direction. Check farm-supply stores, country-veterinary-supply stores, and county extension offices.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hey, Jean! by cjs (Remember Linda? She ...)
I got mine at a health food store. It's a liquid vegetable rennet.

Daphne this might help locate a source for you - raw milk
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Hey, Jean! by Harborwitch (I got mine at a heal...)
Raw milk is one item I can get easily here!!!!!! MOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo
I'm really excited about the Labney and I'm going to do ricotta and mozz now too. Wheeeee
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Hey, Jean! by farnfam (Raw milk is one item...)
We did check with our farm supply stores...

hmmm, Linda's doesn't call for raw milk. decisions, decisions
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey, Jean! by cjs (We did check with ou...)
Of course, if you are rural enough, and there are farms but the farm-supply stores don't have rennet, you could use the real, ORIGINAL rennet, and just use a small piece of the inner lining of a goat's stomach. That is the source of TRUE rennet, anyway, while other coagulating agents just happen to do the same job, with some even being sold as "rennet." It would also work with the stomach of a cow, or other mammal, as well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hey, Jean! by labradors (Of course, if you ar...)
we're not quite that rural...
www.achefsjourney.com