Pecan Contest
  Re: (...)
I've been playing with the idea of entering the local Pecan Festival cooking contest this year. I'm feeling a little "iffy" about it. I just don't want to feel silly.

Anyway, I was looking through my recipes and came up with several ideas. There are four catagories: appetizer, main dish, side/salad, and dessert. I know from my produce guy that there have been several pecan crusted chicken entrees, both winning. They also both were served with either a pineapple or mango salsa. He also said that "run of the mill" pecan pies never won. He's won money a couple of times. I'm also "iffy" about giving up my recipes...they become property of the committee. First prize in each catagory is $100, second, $75, third $50, fourth, $25. The same prizes are given to an overall winner.

I was thinking of doing Pecan Crusted Grouper or Dolphin with my Alexander Sauce for the main dish, but not sure. My crust doesn't always want to "adhere" to the fish as well as I'd like. I also have a Insalata Blu recipe that uses toasted walnuts, but don't know if it would be as good with pecans. For a dessert, I thought about using my Praline Cheesecake with Praline syrup.

The one main stipulation is that all recipes us at least 1 cup of pecans. What do you guys think? Here are the recipes. ANY AND ALL advice or substitutions is welcome...as well as telling me I've lost my mind.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Insalata Blu

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 head bibb lettuce -- torn
1/2 red onion -- sliced thin
1/2 cup walnuts -- toasted
4 ounces blue cheese -- crumbled
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 clove garlic -- crushed through a press (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper -- freshly ground
3/4 cup olive oil -- EVOO

To make the vinaigrette, in a medium bowl whisk vinegars, mustard, sugar, garlic, garlic, salt, and pepper until mixed.

Gradually whisk in the oil until smooth.

Pour over a mix of bibb lettuce, red onions, walnuts, and crumbled blue cheese.

Description:
"Fresh bibb lettuce tossed with a blend of toasted walnuts, red onions, bleu cheese and tangy balsamic vinaigrette."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is a wonderful salad! I always use more nuts than the recipe calls for.

Pecan Crusted Grouper

Recipe By :by Nicole Brummett
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood

1 pound Grouper fillets
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 cup Flour
4 Egg whites -- lightly beaten
1 cup Pecan halves -- chopped medium fine in a food processor

Lightly coat fish fillets all over with mustard. Dust with flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg whites, then roll in chopped pecans.

Place fish on a baking sheet sprayed with vegetable oil. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, until cooked through.

Description:
"I had this at a restaurant and just had to duplicate it at home. I was that good!"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/print?id=13580"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : Serve over garlic potatoes with roasted asparagus.

NOTES : I used walnuts and added panko. I have not tried it yet with JUST finely chopped pecans.

Alexander Sauce (cream sauce with crab and shrimp)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

6 tbsp unsalted butter -- divided
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 tbsp flour
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup clam juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup small shrimp -- uncooked
5 oz crabmeat -- white lump

Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the cream and clam juice. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. In another saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the shrimp and cook about 2 minutes. Add the crabmeat and cook about 1 minute. Stir into cream mixture.

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/26830"

NOTES : We LOVE this recipe. I like to use it over fish and beef. It beats Steak Oscar any day!

Praline Cheesecake

Recipe By :This recipe was shared with me from a fellow teacher many years ago. Unfortunately, I never recorded her name.
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Goods

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
24 ounces cream cheese
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar -- firmly packed
3 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup pecan halves -- for garnish
Maple syrup
OR
Praline Syrup

Mix crumbs, sugar and butter, and press into a 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Cool.

Beat cream cheese and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Sift in flour. Add pecans and vanilla extract. Pour mixture into pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 minutes or until set.

Cool in pan. Remove to serving plate, and brush with syrup and garnish with pecans. Chill for at least 3 hours.

Description:
"This cheese cake is very rich. It tastes amazingly like pralines."

Praline Syrup

Recipe By :Max_Xavier
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00

2 cups dark corn syrup
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup pecans -- pieces
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon butter -- flavoring

Combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and water in a saucepot. Bring to a

boil; boil one minute. Reduce heat; stir in pecans, vanilla and butter flavoring; simmer 5

minutes.

S(Internet Address):
"http://forums.chef2chef.net/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=536882&Searchpage=1&Main=536850&Words=&topic=&Search=true#Post536882"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pecan Contest by Gourmet_Mom (I've been playing wi...)
The pecan crusted grouper sounds really really good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pecan Contest by Harborwitch (The pecan crusted gr...)
Daphne you MUST enter that contest. Don't worry about looking silly...do it for the fun I would love to enter a competition just to do it but nothing is ever going around my area.

I agree with Sharon...that grouper sounds wonderful.

Take pictures
  Re: Re: Pecan Contest by DFen911 (Daphne you MUST ente...)
GO FOR IT!!! I have done a bunch of them...I enter every online recipe competition and local competition I can. I am considering entering the Chicken White Chili we make at work in the area "hick" chili contest. I know for a fact that chicken and whiteness are NOT normal in the competition, but if my Chef says I can use the recipe in it on Monday I am doing it and YOU SHOULD TOO!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pecan Contest by firechef (GO FOR IT!!! I have...)
Thanks you guys! I'm feeling very encouraged! I guess I could do it just for kicks. What do I care what the folks around here think...LOL?!?!?

BTW, when doing this kinda thing, do you do servings for the judges and a separate dish for the display? I'm especially thinking of the cheesecake. I'm really undecided about this recipe and the [Email]C@H[/Email] NY Cheesecake recipe. The only thing about the NY one, I don't think it has enough pecans in it.

OH, and regarding the grouper recipe...do I use the sauce? I figured that would send it over the top. Panko or no? I'll try it both ways before-hand.

A little off topic, but not quite...my grouper supplier, and one of William's best friends, just one the US Open King Mackerel contest yesterday! Cash prize, $25,000 not including the calcutta!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pecan Contest by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks you guys! I'...)
The ones I have been in I have had to have a "display" plate, judges plates and samples for the public.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pecan Contest by firechef (The ones I have been...)
LJ, thankfully, I don't think I have to do samples for this one. I have attended ones where that was the case.

RE the display...for the cheesecake, would I want to display a slice all decked out or a whole cheesecake? The slice would be easier, since I wouldn't have to bake an extra just to display.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pecan Contest by Gourmet_Mom (LJ, thankfully, I do...)
I'd do a cut cheesecake with a slice on a separate plate for display. I know it means a second (or third or fourth depending on how it all cooks and looks) cheesecake but that whole cake with the single slice out on the plate all decked out would look nice. Maybe shadow a fork on the plate?
  Re: Re: Pecan Contest by firechef (I'd do a cut cheesec...)
Thanks LJ! I'm saving this thread for sure!

BTW,don't laugh, but what do you mean "shadow a fork on the plate"?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pecan Contest by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks LJ! I'm savi...)
Put a fork on a plate...sprinkle some pecan dust, cocoa powder, cinnamon or something over the fork on the plate...notice it is on the plate and the fork??? Pick up the fork and you have a empty spot or shadow of where the fork once was.

We do this with cinnamon with our apple pie dessert at work. We also do it with cocoa powder with our flourless chocolate cake. It is so simple to do and looks quite classy looking as well.