Just Saw This!!
  Re: (...)
I have got to get off this darn computer and work on testing recipes for next week's party, but.... Just ran across this recipe and it looks like it's right up our collective alley!!

Oven "Fried" Pizza

Basic Pizza Dough
8 tablespoons olive oil
Lamb Sausage and Caramelized Onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a cast iron skillet large enough to hold 1 of the pizza rounds, heat about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil begins to smoke lightly, turn heat off and add 1 of the pizza rounds.

Use a spatula to press gently on the top of the round to keep it relatively flat as it cooks. When you see it is slightly brown on the underside, season the top lightly with salt and pepper and flip the round on its second side.

Season it with salt and pepper and top with the onion sausage-onion mixture and place the skillet in the center of the oven until the pizza has finished cooking, 5 to 8 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and topping.

Tip for topping the pizza: Brushing the dough with olive oil can create a barrier that will help to prevent the topping from making the crust soggy.

Yield: 4 (6-inch) pizzas

Lamb Sausage and Caramelized Onions Topping:

1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
12 ounces spicy lamb sausage, casings removed
2 small red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
1/2 cup basil leaves, stemmed, washed and dried

In a medium skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil and cook the sausage, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks, until golden brown and crispy.

Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage from the pan onto a paper-towel lined plate. Drop the onions into the pan and cook over medium heat until caramelized, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the honey.

Add the caramelized onions to the pizza fried pizza dough and top with mozzarella, sausage, basil, and a drizzle of good extra-virgin olive oil

Yield: 4 (6-inch pizzas)

Description:
"Recipe courtesy Alex Guarnaschelli"
----

sounds fun and good, eh?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Just Saw This!! by cjs (I have got to get of...)
This looks so good, right up our alley!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Just Saw This!! by cjs (I have got to get of...)
I guess I'm going to have to throw a welcome party for all the pounds that are going to come "home to roost" with this on the menu (along with all the other goodies ) Sounds really good!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Just Saw This!! by Harborwitch (I guess I'm going to...)
Oh Sharon! Don't give up! When I was really doing my low carb diet, and successfully, we stayed on it for over a year. And I really felt so much better. I think I may have wheat issues. BUT, we would have a cheat night - not over do it, but once a week we let ourselves have potatoes, or pasta, or bread. For us it worked. Those are my worst enemies - potatoes, pasta and bread. Rice especially brown does ok. You don't get your goodies as often, but you still get them, don't feel as deprived (although I got to the point I didn't even miss them that much - but my hubby did).

My problem now is having all those things and making them for the kids. I just have no willpower when it is sitting in front of me...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Just Saw This!! by esgunn (Oh Sharon! Don't gi...)
Jean, this sounds ridiculously good! I've got projects planned for this weekend, but this may have to go on next week's menu. As a matter of fact, one of this weekend's projects is to make up several batches of pizza dough.

Sharon, good luck! Being a member of this forum has not added pounds for me, but it has for William. He has no willpower, poor man. I keep telling him one serving is enough, but he goes back for more. Then he blames ME when he puts on his pants, pops a button, or gets on the scale. DUH!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Just Saw This!! by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, this sounds ri...)
Thank you, anon - I'd forgotten about this one and I don't think I ever tried it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com