Some New Recipes
  Re: (...)
We had a lot of company in September and tried some new dishes that turned out really well - here are a few.

Had this one the night we had Billy and his brother & s-i-l for dinner.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Pudding Cakes
Food & Wine magazine

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs -- separated
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- at room temperature
1 cup skim milk
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fresh raspberries or blackberries -- for serving

Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray six 6-ounce ramekins with vegetable oil spray. In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar with the flour. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the butter until well blended. Whisk in the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Pour the lemon mixture into the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until firm peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared ramekins and transfer them to a small roasting pan. Place the pan in the oven and pour in enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

Bake the pudding cakes for 35 minutes or until they are puffy and golden on top. Using tongs, transfer the ramekins to a rack to cool for 20 minutes. Serve the cakes in the ramekins or run a knife around the edge of each cake and unmold onto plates. Serve warm or at room temperature with the berries.

MAKE AHEAD The lemon pudding cakes can be refrigerated for 2 days.

-----
We had this salad with Billy, Bill & Jane - very good!

Crabmeat, Apple, and Mango Salad on Cumin Apple Crisps
From Celebrate the Rain book

2 Granny Smith apples
3 T. powdered sugar
1 tsp. ground cumin
Salad:
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. finely chopped green onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 tsp. each: ground cumin & Dijon mustard
8 oz. Dungeness crabmeat
1/2 cup diced mango
1/2 cup diced Granny Smith apple
2 T. freshly chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 225 F. Line 2 large baking sheets with a silicone nonstick sheet or with parchment paper.

Trim the top and bottom from the apples and cut them horizontally into 1/16th inch slices, popping out the seeds as you slice. Combine the cumin and sugar in a small bowl, spoon into a small sieve, and lightly dust the apple slices on both sides as evenly as possible. Lay the slices on the prepared baking sheets and bake until they begin to crisp, about 2 hours.

Some slices may brown more quickly than the others; remove them as they are ready, returning the pan to the oven until all the slices are crisp. (BE SURE TO DO THIS OR THEY ARE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE FROM THE PAPER!) Pell the slices from the baking sheet and let cool on a wire rack.

For the salad: whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, green onion, garlic, cumin, and mustard in a small bowl until blended.

Pick over the crabmeat to remove any bits of shell or cartilage, and squeeze gently to remove excess liquid. Put the crabmeat in a separate bowl with the mango and apple. Add the dressing, tossing gently to mix.

Top each apple slice with 1 T. of the crabmeat salad, ad sprinkle with some of the cilantro. Arrange on a platter and serve right away.

Makes 8-10 servings.
You could omit the apple rings and simple serve the salad on crackers or tortilla crisps made by brushing wedges of flour tortilla with oil, sprinkling with cumin and toasting in the oven until crisp.

My Note: I think I’ll serve this as a salad course using the apple rings as a garnish on/with the salad. Maybe the salad served in a lettuce cup.

---------

We had this one also with Bill & Jane and Billy - really liked it!!

Roast Beef and Couscous Wraps
From Celebrate the Rain

1 cup chicken broth
2 T. olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence
3/4 cup couscous
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion, white part only, green tops reserved and cut into 1/4" wide strips
3 T. minced parsley
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. balsamic vinegar
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. thinly sliced (about 1/8-inch) deli roast beef, regular or Italian style (I’d get thinner slices next time for easier rolling)
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
Lettuce for garnish

Combine the broth, 1 T. of olive oil, and the herbes de Provence in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the couscous, take from the heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in the remaining 2 T. of oil with the marmalade, Parmesan, sliced green onion, parsley, red wine and balsamic vinegars, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.

Once the couscous has cooled, lay out a few slices of roast beef on the counter. Spoon about 2 T. of the couscous mixture along the short side of each slice of roast beef and use your fingers to press the couscous together to help make a tidy mound. Set a strip of bell pepper alongside and roll the roast beef tightly to enclose. Each cylinder should be about 1 inch in diameter. Tie the rolls at 1-inch intervals with the green parts of the green onions. Repeat with the remaining slices of beef and couscous filling. (The rolls can be prepared the night before up to this point, wrapped well in plastic and refrigerated.)

When ready to serve, cut the rolls on the diagonal into 1-inch lengths (you should have about 50 pieces in all) and arrange them cut side up on a lettuce-lined serving platter.

Makes 12-16 servings. You can use toothpicks to secure the rolls rather than tying them with the green onions tops before cutting.

--------

We had so much fun tasting and trying new dishes while everyone was here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Some New Recipes by cjs (We had a lot of comp...)
I'll vouch for the last two--delicious!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by Old Bay (I'll vouch for the l...)
These look good, Jean. Copied!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life