This sounds good for fall and winter!
  Re: (...)
Got this one from www.theworldwidegourmet.com as well...

Beef Braised in Wine - Boeuf en Daube

Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) Beef from various braising cuts, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) bacon, in small pieces
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bottle of red wine
- Chopped herbs
- Capers, pearl onions, cooked peas, etc.

Method

1. In an earthenware casserole, sear the bacon and beef in the oil; add the onion and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Pour the wine over top to cover the meat.
Braise, covered, over low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
3. At the end, add the herbs, capers and garnish of your choice.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: This sounds good for fall and winter! by firechef (Got this one from [u...)
It's a great cold weather dish. Haven't made it in awhile, but I think mine also had cognac, and salt pork in lieu of bacon. Either way, very tasty! Thanks for the reminder.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: This sounds good for fall and winter! by Lorraine (It's a great cold we...)
mine is similar also - and I like salt pork in it too. Good dish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This sounds good for fall and winter! by cjs (mine is similar also...)
I never thought of it years ago, but I think this would be a great dish to make in a crock pot (since I don't have a nice red dutch oven like some )!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: This sounds good for fall and winter! by Lorraine (I never thought of i...)
I think you're right...and I don't either...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com