Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
  Re: (...)
OKAY, I'm looking through the Soups, Stews, and Chilies book and I've narrowed dinner down to one of the following. Any advice? Anybody tried these?

Italian Sausage and Squash Soup page 27
Supreme Pizza Soup with Cheesy Garlic Bread page 23
Creamy Crab Bisque page 17
Cajun Catfish Chowder page 11
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by Gourmet_Mom (OKAY, I'm looking th...)
I'd go with the sausage and squash soup, because I have both in the fridge. Unfortunately, the book is with UPS.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by Lorraine (I'd go with the saus...)
I haven't tried any of those yet, but the pizza soup got great reviews a while back. If it were me, though, the crab bisque would be the soup de jour. It just sounds delicious. Most likely none of them will disappoint. Good luck, Daphne!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by chef_Tab (I haven't tried any ...)
Well, in the end, I didn't have to decide...the store decided for me. To save gas, I went to the little local store, and the only one they had all the ingredients for was the pizza one...no squash, crab, or catfish....ARG!!!! (And even with all that, I still had to sub presliced pepperoni.) Oh well, I'm gonna make all three in the next week. I'll just have to make sure I shop in town Monday.

Lorraine, I typed all four into MC earlier today, so here's the squash one fer ya'. There's just one condition...you MUST let me know how it turned out and any adjustments you'd make.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Sausage and Squash Soup

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage
1 1/2 cups onion -- diced
2 tablespoons garlic -- minced
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup red bell pepper -- diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon dried sage -- ground
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups spinach
3 tablespoons brandy
salt and pepper -- to taste

Brown sausage in 1 T oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.

Sweat onion and garlic in 1 T oil in a large pot over medium heat until soft, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add squash and pepper flakes, and saute 5 minutes.

Stir in broth and water, bring to a boil, and simmer until squash is very soft, about 10 minutes. Puree soup with a hand blender (or in batches in a standard blender), then add bell pepper, cream, sage, and sugar; simmer until bell pepper is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach, brandy, and sausage, and simmer until spinach wilts, and sausage is heated through, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

Source:
"Soups, Stews, and Chilies; page 27"
Daphne
  Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by Gourmet_Mom (Well, in the end, I ...)
They all sound so good. I made the Cincinatti Chili last week served over noodles and with the cracker salad. We really liked it. I will make again.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by esgunn (They all sound so go...)
we love the cracker salad.

Thanks Daphne - I have everything for the sausage soup, so guess I'll do that tomorrow.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by cjs (we love the cracker ...)
I haven't gotten around to trying any of these yet, even though every single one of them caught my eye. What I did make last weekend (and made it once before) is the Sausage Minestra Soup that is the Splendid Soups book (I think) and I know I've seen it either in an issue in the last year or another book.

I've declared it the best soup I've ever made. Try it, you'll like it. My husband made the croutons for it and they were a big hit as well.
  Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by Trixxee (I haven't gotten aro...)
Trixxee, We love the sausage minestra and the lasagna soup. They are both so good.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by esgunn (Trixxee, We love t...)
I think you should post the Cajun Catfish Chowder and Creamy Crab Bisque recipes Mom and I'll let you know what I think...hint hint hint

Let me rephrase that...Hey Mom could you post the Cajun Catfish Chowder and Creamy Crab Bisque for me???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by firechef (I think you should p...)
Uh, uh...sorry, I was lost in the world of foodgawkers....LOL!

Here you go:

Cajun Catfish Chowder

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

4 slices thick-sliced bacon -- diced
2 cups onion -- diced
1 cup celery -- diced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup dry sherry
16 ounces clam juice
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups red potatoes -- diced
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
2 pounds catfish fillets -- brushed with oil
2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup scallion -- sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
1 lemon -- zested

Preheat oven to 475 degrees; coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.

Saute bacon in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat until crisp, 5 minutes; drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Pour off all but 2 T drippings, return pot to burner, and sweat onion and celery in drippings until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, garlic, and seasonings; cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with sherry, simmer until nearly evaporated, then stir in clam juice, broth, potatoes, Worcestershire, and Tabasco. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 15 minutes.

Sprinkle fish with Cajun seasoning on prepared baking sheet, then roast about 15 minutes.

Finish soup with cream and heat to warm through. Combine scallions, parsley, and zest with reserved bacon in a bowl. Ladle soup into bowls, top with a fish fillet, and garnish with bacon mixture.

Creamy Crab Bisque

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup leeks -- diced
1/2 cup carrot -- diced
1/2 cup celery -- diced
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
8 ounces clam juice
salt and pepper -- to taste
tabasco sauce -- to taste
1 1/4 cups lump crabmeat -- divided
fresh chives -- minced

Sweat leeks, carrot, celery, and garlic in oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat until carrot is soft, 8 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.

Deglaze with wine, simmer until nearly evaporated, then stir in cream, milk, and clam juice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then season with salt, papper, and Tabasco. Off heat, puree mixture with an immersion blender.

Top each serving with 1/4 cup crabmeat; garnish with chives.
Daphne