Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review
  Re: (...)
I got the idea to make this from HomeCulinarian. It is in the first weeknights cookbook. Sadly, I did not have the ingredients to make the Hoppin John salad to go with it because that sounds great too. Hopefully she will add her thoughts. I loved, loved, loved the pork done this way! I added lots of extra pepper flakes, but other than that followed the recipe. There were no leftovers and that makes me sad! It was very quick and easy to do and the flavor was fabulous. I will make this again and again. Easily a 10 in my book.

I just read HomeCulinarian's review on the other thread. I forgot to mention I love vinegar. You will only like this if you are a vinegar lover too!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by chef_Tab (I got the idea to ma...)
Theresa, could you post that recipe when you get a chance. I don't have that book. My Grilling book is the newer one. This sounds like something William would like. I'd also like the Hoppin' John Salad recipe as well, if you would....please?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by Gourmet_Mom (Theresa, could you p...)
Carolina Skewer 'Cue with Hoppin' John Salad

Ingredients:

Stir together for BBQ Sauce:
1 1/2 cups apple cidar vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
3 T prepared yellow mustard
1 T worcestershire sauce
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/4 t black pepper

Thread; Grill and Baste:
1 1/2 lb. pork loin, cut into 24 cubes
2 apples, such as Granny Smith or Braeburn, cored, cut into 8 wedges each
1 red onion, cut into 1" wedges
BBQ sauce

directions:
preheat grill to medium high.
Stir sauce ingredients together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Set aside 1/3 cup for basting; reserve remaining sauce for serving.
Thread pork cubes onto 4 skewers, alternating apple and onion wedges with meat. Grill 4 minutes, then turn and baste the grilled side. Grill an additional 4 minutes, then turn and baste again. Cook an additional minute, or until pork reaches 150. discard remaininng basting sauce.
Serve with reserved sauch and Hoppin John Salad.

Hoppin' John Salad
makes 3 1/2 cups

Whisk together:
3 T apple cidar vinegar
2 T olive oil
1 T sugar
1 T chopped fresh thyme
1/4 t cayenne

Add;toss:
1 cup cooked rice, cooled
1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed(15oz)
1 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
S&P

Whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, thyme, and cayenne in a large bowl.
Add rice, black-eyed peas, bell pepper, and scallions; toss to coat. Season with S&P.
Theresa

Re: Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by chef_Tab (Carolina Skewer 'Cue...)
gosh, typing that made me want it even more. we might be having this again this weekend! The tummy is a growlin'!!
Theresa

Re: Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by chef_Tab (Carolina Skewer 'Cue...)
Quote:

Carolina Skewer 'Cue

Hmmm.... Images of billiard sticks being used on a grill.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

We thought the Carolina Skewer-'cue was pretty good. Really liked the Hoppin John Salad... might even add some chopped ham to it next time. The sauce for the skewers was very vinegar-ee and a change from our usual. Hubby liked it more than me. Teenage daughter came over for dinner and didn't care for the sauce. She said if I'd made the Bourbon sauce, it would have been great.

Pasting my comments in this thread. I agree, the method was really easy. The BBQ sauce could be any kind to suit your taste.
  Re: Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks Theresa! Copied and saved. I have also copied your comments as well as HomeCulinarian's.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Theresa! Cop...)
Thanks for the review. I love vinegar based sauces, the vinegary , the better.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by chef_Tab (gosh, typing that ma...)
Theresa sweetie, if you had MasterCook 9 you would only have to type the recipe once and could post it as many times as you wished Can you tell I'm a big fan of MC9?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Carolina Skewer 'Cue Review by bjcotton (Theresa sweetie, if ...)
Silly Billy, it is already on my wish list for Christmas! In fact it is on the top of my list.
Theresa