Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto
  Re: (...)
We were discussing the New Spanish Table a while back, it intrigued me and Bob said seeing that we didn't really have a Spanish cookbook I could order it. WOW is all we can say.

So far we've made two side dishes, and this was the BEST! I smoked my own Gouda over apple and hickory for this.

1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 c. finely sliced scallions, including a bit of the green
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. arborrio rice
1/2 c. dry white wine
5 1/2 c. chciken stock, kept at a simmer
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 c. shredded smoked cheese
1/3 c. freshly grated parm.
2 to 3 Tbs parley oil
3 Tbs syrupy balsamic or 1/3 C. thin balsamic reduced.

Heat the olive oil in a heavy wide 3 qt. saucepan, over medium low heat. Add the scallions and cook, stirring, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the rice and stir for about 1 minute. Increase the heat to medium, add the wine, and stir viforously until the wine is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add 3 cups of the simmering stock, about 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each addition of liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the remaining stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each additon. Cook until the rice is tender but a little al dente, about 20 minutes total.

Add the cream and cheeses and stir vigorously until the chees melts. Immediately serve the risotto drizzled with the parsley oil and the balsamic vinegar.

Parlsey oil (Which, by the way, absolutely makes this!)

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

Place olive oil and parsley in blender and puree until bright green and completely smooth. Let the oil stand at room temp. for at least 15 minutes (or up to 2 hours) then strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.

I'll give this at least a 20 on a scale of 1 to 10!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by Harborwitch (We were discussing t...)
Oh, this just sounds way too good! We'll have to be trying this one soon, very soon!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by Mare749 (Oh, this just sounds...)
Oh how I love a good risotto and this sounds like a GREAT risotto! Saved for a later day!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by Harborwitch (We were discussing t...)
Sharon, this does sound delicious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by cjs (Sharon, this does so...)
I love Risotto and will definitely try this soon! Thank you!
  Re: Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by cjs (Sharon, this does so...)
I wasn't terribly crazy about the balsamic on it (it was good on the chicken though) but the parsley oil is truly the bomb! I can think of lots of wonderful things to do with that little gem!

Tonight I'll make rice balls with the leftover risotto.
  Re: Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by Harborwitch (I wasn't terribly cr...)
I seem to have missed this. YUM! I love risotto, too! And this does sound like an awesome recipe. Thanks Sharon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by Gourmet_Mom (I seem to have misse...)
How did you keep the cheese from melting while you smoked it?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by bjcotton (How did you keep the...)
I had the usual water bowl in the bottom of the smoker. I froze the cheese for about 2 hours and set it on a perforated grill sheet on the very top shelf of the smoker. Right under it I put an aluminum foil pan with apple juice and a lot of ice in it. Then it was just a matter of getting the smoke going and then getting the heat as low as possible. Whew!

I did the same thing when I smoked some salmon Monday. I used apple and alder on the salmon, hickory and apple on the cheese.
  Re: Re: Creamy Basque Smoked Cheese Risotto by bjcotton (How did you keep the...)
Quote:

How did you keep the cheese from melting while you smoked it?

She only uses the cheese with filters (and no menthol).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?