Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven!
  Re: (...)
Okay, just kidding, but I did an unusual thing for me - I went out to look at dutch ovens this weekend, looking for one highly recommended by Cooks Illustrated, that also happened to be only $50 at Target. They did not have it, of course, so stopped by a cooking store to look.

Well, I did it - bought an almost $300 Staub dutch oven. It's beautiful - a pretty red, and it's big, and oh so French looking.

Well, now let me preface the following with the fact that my hubby would never question my sense in a purchase - I am the most frugal person in this family, hands down, and never make impulse purchases.

But he said, with curiousity, "now, what does this do differently from the other big pans we've cooked fabulously in for years now? How does it compare to the crockpot, and how great those stews/chilis/whatever come out?" I said, "um, it is WAY prettier, see? And it cooks better too!"

But deep in my heart, I thought, I'm sure this is a great purchase, but he's right - is this really better than the cheap-o ones? And then I thought, I know, I'll ask all of those people who are experts in the field on C&H bulletin board! SO, folks, what is the benefit of a really nice (and expensive) new dutch oven that I will soon realize? What should I try first, and second in this beauty?
  Re: Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven! by carolekv (Okay, just kidding, ...)
Well, Carol, not sure what to tell you on this one...but I think if you love it, use it and enjoy it! We should all have at least one pot that we're crazy about sitting on the stove to admire. BTW, what color did you get? Those pots are so pretty.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven! by carolekv (Okay, just kidding, ...)
"what is the benefit of a really nice (and expensive) new dutch oven" - well, for heaven's sake, just think how happy the foods will be cooked in this wonderful vessel!!!!

If you and your husband like lamb, this would be a wonderful 'breaking in' recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND SHALLOTS

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound onions -- sliced
5 large shallots -- sliced (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
6 3/4 lamb shanks -- ¥(6 3/4 to 1)
all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups dry red wine
2 1/2 cups canned beef broth
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 bay leaves

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions & shallots; sauté until brown, about 20 minutes. Mix in rosemary. Remove from heat.

Sprinkle lamb shanks with s&p; coat lamb with flour. Heat remaining 2 T. olive oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Work in batches, add lamb shanks to skillet and cook until brown on both sides, about 10 minutes per batch. Using tongs, transfer lamb shanks to plate.

Add 1 cup dry red wine to same skillet and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Pour into Dutch oven with onion mixture. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups red wine, canned beef broth, tomato paste and 2 bay leaves to dutch oven. Bring to boil, stirring until tomato paste dissolves. Add lamb shanks, turning to coat with liquid.

Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lamb is almost tender, turning lamb shanks occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Uncover Dutch oven and boil until liquid is reduced to sauce consistency, stirring and turning lamb shanks occasionally, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon Potato puree onto plates. Top vegetables with lamb shanks and sauce. Sprinkle lamb shanks with additional chopped fresh rosemary and serve. Serves 6. Bon Appétit - January 1996

Description:
"This is the best Lamb shank recipe I've ever tasted."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This would be a real winner! Have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven! by cjs ("what is the benefit...)
Yes, how true - I'm using the family to taste test my chili cookoff practice run tonight, and will use my dutch oven for that too! Thanks for the lamb recipe - hubby loves it - raves about how his mom used to make it. I've never made lamb, but could certainly give it a shot. I'm not wild about the flavor myself, but as with many things, I think I just haven't tried the right recipe yet. So, maybe this one is the charm!
Well, I just had to see a photo of this lovely vessel (as Jean so beautifully put it).

I found this: [Image: 41%2BuWBueO%2BL._AA280_.jpg]

However, there is also a model with a rooster for the handle. I wonder if that is the one?

[Image: 41lOkfecqIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg]

Both are so attractive, I don't think I could have resisted either one. Red is my color anyway.

I think you have made a stellar choice either way and tip my hat to you!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven! by luvnit (Well, I just had to ...)
[Image: rd_cocotte_grena.jpg]

Here it is… It’s the 8 quart version, so huge, and I love that!

The store said that the one with the chicken handle is really popular and was sold out!
  Re: Re: Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven! by carolekv ( [img]http://www.sta...)
The color is 'grenadine' per the website, not just red, as I'd previously stated.
  Re: Re: Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven! by carolekv (The color is 'grenad...)
carolekv, it's so pretty! I love the color.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven! by farnfam (carolekv, it's so pr...)
I'd say worth every penny!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help - need to justify Staub Dutch Oven! by cjs (I'd say worth every ...)
Wow - that is beautiful, the food cooked in it is going to be amazing! I'd say it was a bargain, especially if you're smiling when you're washing it!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!