Looking for a salsa recipe to can
  Re: (...)
I make a pretty mean fresh salsa, but I am looking for a recipe that is tried and true to preserve. I am pretty sure somebody out there must be canning their own salsa and would be willing to share!
  Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by iBcookin (I make a pretty mean...)
I used to have a 'winter' salsa that I canned. I think it came from Carla Emory's book (can't get at it at the moment) but I think the only thing I did was use drained, canned tomatoes along with all the other seasonings and canned this.

It's not a nice crisp salsa like 'summer' salsa, but tastes darn good. Guess it would almost be a 'taco sauce' - kind of.

I never had the room for freeze it, but I wonder if the texture would be closer to fresh by doing it that way?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by cjs (I used to have a 'wi...)
If your salsa has only the basic tomato, onion, pepper, combo in it, Linda; then couldn't it be canned in the same manner as tomatoes? As in put in hot canner bath, bring to a boil and cool to seal? Seems like the acid in the tomatoes would keep everything safe.'
When we can up salsa verde, we add a bit of vinegear but thats because the tomatillos and the cilantro don't have the preserving power (acid level) of the toms. Just a thought.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life