Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy
  Re: (...)
I purchased a wooden pasta dryer several months ago. When I got it, it sort of smelled musty. I used it once then packed it away during our home renovation project.

I finally unpacked it the other day. It still smelled. Sprayed it with a light bleach mixture, ran it through a very hot dishwasher and oiled it up. Made pasta and hung it to dry.

Even the pasta tasted musty (or mildewee).

Finally I threw it away.

If I remember right, Roy (Jean's dear hubby) makes a pasta dryer. Does he have any that he would like to sell? I would love one!!!

It's been a while, what else does he make. I may be in need of other items I didn't know I could do without.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by luvnit (I purchased a wooden...)
Laura, GREAT idea! The holidays are right around the corner! I would dearly LOVE a salt box. And my tobacco stick wrapped in plastic wrap hung over an "L" in my cabinets doesn't work for a pasta dryer. (I kept opening the stupid cabinet UNDER the "rack" and knocking it off. OUCH!) SO, I would definitely be in the market for a drying rack as well.

So give, Jean, what else ya got that I didn't know I needed, but MUST have now?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, GREAT idea! ...)
This might sound kind of yucky, but it really does work great. I have a wooden clothes rack that is only used to dry pasta. I put a big cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch anything that falls. Of course, anything that Roy makes is going to be much prettier.....

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by Mare749 (This might sound kin...)
The clothes drying bars are a good idea. They make plastic ones of those as well that I have seen used in a couple of small Mom & Pop Italian places over the years as well. We all know they are NSF Certified too...NOT!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by Mare749 (This might sound kin...)
Oooh never thought of a clothes drying rack (it doesn't sound yucky, unless you are drying your pantyhose right next to the linguine!) Splended idea. Wood or plastic would work.

Yes, I am sure Roy's are much prettier and I will hold out for that first. But if he can't get it done I will look into that.

Daphne- Yes, I remember Roy's salt boxes too! They are wonderful. I have a salt crock that bought in NM years ago and I love it or I would replace it. I put my kosher salt in it. But, lately I have been thinking about adding a sea salt to my countertop. A new salt box would be in order for that!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by luvnit (Oooh never thought o...)
Well, well, what an interesting thread... Let Roy get thru the next few days and he'll get with you, Laura (read "Finally a trailer" thread)

He's been making all kinds of goodies.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by cjs (Well, well, what an ...)
>>>>Raising hand and waving wildly<<<<<<<<

"Me, too! Me, too!!!!!!"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by cjs (Well, well, what an ...)
" He's been making all kinds of goodies "

I need a bit more info before giving Gil my Christmas list.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by Lorraine (" He's been making a...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Note for Roy - Jean's Boy Toy by cjs ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
I have never made pasta to dry. I am assuming there is no egg in it?

Recipe/technique please