Fire up the smokers!
  Re: (...)
On the smokingmeatforums there is a whole section dedicated to "fatties". Silly me, I thought that meant a section for those of us who enjoy our food too much to whine about our weighty issues.

Silly me! Fatties are the most sublime meat products to come out of a smoker.
[Image: 2856698127_58ddc79293.jpg]

[Image: 2857528884_da810c2bed.jpg]

This is a Ruben Fattie

1 1.25 lb package bratwurst removed from their casings
sliced swiss cheese as needed
1 dill pickle (optional) thinly sliced
1/2 to 3/4 c. kraut
caraway seeds (optional) to taste
3 Tbs. horseradish
Sliced bacon

Place sausage meat in a 1 gallon zip type bag and roll out to a even edge to edge layer. Place bag in freezer for 20 minutes.

Slit open the sides of the bag and turn the contents out onto a piece of saran wrap or a silpat (worked great). Place cheese slices in the center third. Cover with pickle slices. . . .
[Image: 2856175163_e3826b5498.jpg]

Cover pickles with kraut. Sprinkle with caraway seeds if desired. Spread horseradish on the sausage next to one or the horizontal edges of the cheese. Roll the fattie tightly crimping the ends and the edge so no seams show.

Lay out bacon slices (enough to cover the fattie) on another piece of saran. Carefully place the fattie in the center of the bacon seam side up and wrap with the bacon.

Roll the fattie in the saran wrap and twist the ends tightly. It will become thicker and shorter - this is a good thing.

[Image: 2857007272_78b198a3f6.jpg]

At this point you can refrigerate your fattie until morning or, if you are going to cook right away place it in the freezer for 15 minutes so it can firm up for easier handling.

When ready to smoke carefully remove the saran and place in the smoker for about 3 hours or till the desired temp.

You can play with this - so many different combinations of meat and fillings. Different smokes, different "stuff" in the water bowl.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Fire up the smokers! by Harborwitch (On the smokingmeatfo...)
Oh, this looks delicious - when Mister and I go out for lunch we usually end up at the same favorite restaurant where we always share a Reuben - we are going to try this - a good idea for "race day" food as the children are always here on Sundays for the races - and yes, the possibilities of combinations are dizzying!!! Thanks for posting this
  Re: Fire up the smokers! by Harborwitch (On the smokingmeatfo...)
Oh My Gosh that looks good!!!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Fire up the smokers! by esgunn (Oh My Gosh that look...)
That would be absolutely wonderful without the kraut, pickles and horsey sauce!

Other than that I think it looks good...maybe with three or four kinds of cheeses, and even some vegetables...like you said the options are pretty much endless...

Getting too cold around here for smoking and even grilling...using way to much char chunks and wood to get the temperatures up where I need them. Might get another "warm" spell or two but thinking that winter is on the way sooner rather than later...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Fire up the smokers! by firechef (That would be absolu...)
OH MY GOODNESS! I can't wait to show this to William tomorrow!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fire up the smokers! by firechef (That would be absolu...)
Oh Sweetie, you need to come visit! We'll be smoking till ......? Just move the ole' smoker closer to the back door!

The combinations they have are amazing! I'm looking forward to lots and lots of these.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fire up the smokers! by Harborwitch (Oh Sweetie, you need...)
If I didn't know better I'd swear I would be shoveling snow in the morning! It is only 54F outside but the wind is shifting from NNW to NNE at 20 to 30 MPH and makes it feel like the mid-30s out there with a misty rain that turns to rapid downpours that last all of three seconds before going back to the mist. Not good weather for smoking or grilling...I HATE WINTER!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Fire up the smokers! by firechef (If I didn't know bet...)
Sharon, that looks so good! Thanks for the pictures too.
We'll have to be trying this one. Sounds like a fun forum, I'll have to go check it out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fire up the smokers! by Mare749 (Sharon, that looks s...)
Well, this is certainly on the list! I'm with you, Sharon - I'll be smoking and grilling all year round - snow or no snow.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fire up the smokers! by cjs (Well, this is certai...)
This looks fabulous and I LOVE smoked food - talk about anticipation - the whole neighborhood smells divine when we fire ours up.

Also, you guys talking about snow - I wish I could trade. It's hot and muggy outside here still. I want fall so badly! I love crispy air and cool breezes and rustling leaves and nesting and cozy cooking. Sigh. I also love snow (well, not so much - I did grow up in northern Massachusetts - not THAT much).