Three reviews from new issue
  Re: (...)
I made three different things from the new issue, Chicken pot pie, Irish stew and banana bread. The chicken pot pie was really nice. The brown butter in crust just takes it to another level. This is replacing my old recipe. The Irish stew was just ok. It seemed to be missing something. It was sort of forgettable but the mini cheddar scones were good. The banana bread was one of the little recipes they have in the special section (I want to say the fewer faster section). It was actually a great recipe and it stayed really moist, even after freezing and thawing. It was a good texture without being stodgy like fruit bread can be. This to replaces my old recipe (sorry mom).

There is only one other recipe I will be trying and that is the pie on the back but will not post until after dinner review.

Happy cooking
Linda
  Re: Three reviews from new issue by Emmasmum (I made three differe...)
Hey Linda; yeah I made the stew also and found it..well ...bland. The scones were good. I think they'd actually be better with chili than the stew.

Thanks for the info on the pie. That was my next one for this weekend.
I am going to try the stacked apple pie tonight. Will let you all know how it turns out.
  Re: Re: Three reviews from new issue by sadbkd (I am going to try th...)
If I haven't welcomed you SadBKD I would like to do so mow. It's great to have you with us...happy cooking.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Thanks, Linda. I had those earmarked.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Three reviews from new issue by Lorraine (Thanks, Linda. I ha...)
and my HUGE welcome as well, sadbak------hope to see you around often!! We have a lot of fun here and you have tons of brains to pick!!!

Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Three reviews from new issue by Roxanne 21 (and my HUGE welcome ...)
Welcome sadBKD!

Thanks for the review on the pot pie, Linda. I have a recipe very close to this one, but it has a bottom crust, which I prefer. Do you think doubling the pastry recipe for a bottom crust would be too much? After my last experience with pastry, I'm not sure I'm ready...Pillsbury makes a really nice one. Although, it wouldn't have the browned butter in it...HMMM?

I will keep your comments on the stew in mind. As for the pie, I may have to pass on the review for now....I SICK! Just 3 weeks in...and I'm already sick! And it's getting worse instead of better! Not a good sign!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Three reviews from new issue by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome sadBKD![br][...)
I want to make that pot pie as well. The crust sounded really good.

Do you think adding a T. of balsamic vinegar to the Irish stew would help heighten the flavor? I do that with a lot of beef recipes when 'salt' just won't help.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Three reviews from new issue by luvnit (I want to make that ...)
That sounds like it would be a good addition, Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thank you for the welcome everyone!
I tried the "un-pie" apple pie dessert. Definitely a bit more work, more steps but not complicated - the filling, the caramel and the easy pie crust. But it was really delicious - a nice change from regular apple pie.

Barbara