Fool proof steak - reverse searing
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by Gourmet_Mom (I have done the salt...)
We have so much wind tonight we cannot grill steak, so we are using this method from an old post to get our steak on!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by luvnit (We have so much wind...)
Oh I'm going to be interested to hear your results. I did a reverse sear, but not this recipe, it was another on and came out pretty good as I recall.
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by DFen911 (Oh I'm going to be i...)
You know, we have already done this method several times and we have loved it each time. The cut of meat doesn't seem to matter as much as the thickness. At least 1.25 inches is key.
Laura
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by luvnit (You know, we have al...)
I'll have to eat my words here! For the last few years, I've been doing my own version of this. I set my remote probe to 98 degrees, put my steaks in a 275 oven. When it is at temp, I throw them on a hot grill to sear, very quickly. Always perfect! Perfectly med rare throughout. Reminds me to keep an open mind...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by pjcooks (I'll have to eat my ...)
Well, I do have a TBone in the freezer....hmmmmmm
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by cjs (Well, I do have a TB...)
We have another ribeye in the freezer - but it's just 1" thick.

I keep looking at that walkin sitting darn near empty and thinking I might have to dry age some beef, corn a big honkin' brisket (Laura's recipe), and a few other things.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by Harborwitch (We have another ribe...)
The CI method works really well. I was skeptical too, but it does come out great.

Their other steak trick that makes a huge difference is heating a TBS. of olive oil till smoking in a SS pan searing the steak on one side, turning them and then placing a heavy (think LC or Staub) over the steak while searing the other side. I use this when I make Steak Diane which is my absolutely favorite way to eat steak. Making the demi-glace sub for the sauce takes time, but oh it is so worth it.
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by Cubangirl (The CI method works ...)
Just wanted to report back that we used this method the other day for 2 strip steaks. The method does work and gives the inside of the meat a nice pink color all the way through and the flavor was good. However Ron thought it was a lot of BS'ing around (his words) and not really worth the bother and still prefers to just put a steak right on the grill where he has it all down to a science.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by Mare749 (Just wanted to repor...)
I would agree, but the FLAVOR is superior!
Laura
  Re: Re: Fool proof steak - reverse searing by luvnit (I would agree, but t...)
Maryann, I know what Ron is saying. For me, it's convenience-I can put them in the oven, set the thermo and know I have 20 or 30 minutes to get the rest of the meal done. They can stand a few minutes out of the oven before they hit the grill-just a few minutes on each side on a very hot grill. Picky has another colorful expression for my technique!! but he's not the one getting dinner on the table after a full day at work Which I remind him of, of course!!!

PJ

ETA If He was the one cooking dinner, I'd love for him to do it anyway he sees fit. Lucky you!
PJ