Wish I Could Lose Some Weight
  Re: (...)
This was a statement from the 800 lb gorilla last night. The previous day I had finally acceded to his request and made 2 family size packages of fried chicken wings [about 36]. He'd eaten 16 wings, 2 ears of corn, ice cream, candy, chips & dip, and drank 4 glasses of juice. He made this comment as he was sitting there with a plate of 15 wings in front of him and 2 ears of corn in the microwave. He says it's got to be the steroids in his asthma inhaler that is making him retain the weight and not the food or the 1-2 gallons of fluid he drinks every day. I cannot seem to convince him that it's not the inhalers. When I mention it he says, "I know!" and that's the end of that.

Suggestions? A case of extreme thirst is an indication of diabetes in some cases and I have gotten him to ask his doctor during his upcoming appointment.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Wish I Could Lose Some Weight by bjcotton (This was a statement...)
YEP! I would seriously check into diabetes. Geez, that's a lot of fluids. Having mild cases of diabetes on both sides of our family, we have always monitored our kids' fluid intake and our sugar levels regularly. Poor dear, and here you can't gain any.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
He's really got to want it Sweetie. You could start by getting rid of as much of the white stuff as you can in his diet. Bake his wings instead of frying them. Have 2 oz. portions of nuts measured out for his snacks, along with some fruit and maybe string cheese. Check out the South Beach Diet.

As long as the 2 gallons of fluid are water he should be fine. Iced tea with Splenda??? Make him ice cream with Splenda instead of sugar. Oh - read the labels! I thought about buying some low fat salad dressing (I should know better); first ingredient was high fructose corn syrup!! I bought the full fat version, same brand same type, it had sugar waaaaaay down the ingredient list! Tis a slippery slope.

Oh, he needs to move too. I've learned that's really important!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Wish I Could Lose Some Weight by Harborwitch (He's really got to w...)
I love splenda! I use it all time and it makes the best lemonade

If you can figure out his caloric intake. Sometimes that is a real shocker. A co-worker of mine has lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks from switching from sodo to diet soda. Fruit juices are not all that good for you. Like Sharon said high fructose corn syrup and all that stuff does is make you more thirsty, thus you drink more and gain more calories.

Walk! Everyday at least 2 miles. Takes me about 30 minutes. I go early in the morning before work.

Good luck Billy
The South Beach Diet worked really well for my girl a few years ago - plus she needed to get more exercise - also, the idea to check for diabetes sounds like a plan - my mom had diabetes and the older I get, the more I "watch" out for sugars (plus get tested) - I hope you find something that works for you
  Re: Re: Wish I Could Lose Some Weight by DFen911 (I love splenda! I us...)
I adore Splenda!!! I also buy, in the Mexican grocery, pure cane sugar. It's unwashed, unrefined, and still contains the minerals from the sugar cane. It tastes so much better too and because the crystals are bigger and the taste is "bigger" too I tend to use less.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Hi,

I used to be pretty obese and started putting on a lot of weight especially on my thighs and bottom in my late thirties. I started exercising as often as possible and also cut down on a lot of high calorie stuff. Unfortunately I hardly managed to lose any weight at all. I then recently read an article by a lady who claimed that she managed to lose nearly half of her weight using a particular weight loss product. I tried it out and it actually worked really well. Within 4 months I managed to shave off 65 pounds completely. The results were pretty amazing and I feel so much healthier and energetic now without having to carry all that extra weight around. You can read more about the lady's article at the link below

http://www.obesityzapped.com
  Re: Re: Wish I Could Lose Some Weight by jennifer8055 (Hi,[br][br][br]I use...)
Yeah, fruit juice is so loaded with carbs so this is what I do to quench my thirst and still get that fruit juice taste.

I love the Minute Maid Light Lemonade. I think it has something like 15 calories per 8oz serving. Then I just put a splash of OJ in it. I still get an OJ taste without most of the carbs and calories. My nine year old likes it too. Very refreshing.

I also sometimes combine half of the light lemonade and half light Oceanspray Cranberry Juice. If you're drinking a lot of juice, these two drinks can save you some significant calories at the end of the day. Plus I think the lemonade has 100% Vit. C.

OK, off to get some lemonade!