Jean have you been here?
  Re: (...)
I have never heard of it. Not even sure how I came accross it now, but it looks interesting. Thought of you with your love (??) of cured meats and sausages - it is owned my Mario Batali's dad and is Seattle.

Salumi Cured Meats

Article from KOMO - Go Eat
Behind most good meals is a good family. Case in point, Armandino Batali: father of celebrity chef Mario Batali and a man many consider the Grand Poobah of artisan cured meats.

"The vision I had was this salumeria idea in Italy where it's a long narrow meat market in an area where you can do something for society by upgrading the local facilities."

That's exactly what Armandino and his wife set out to do after he retired from his role as Process Control Engineer at Boeing.

"I retired in 1996. I went back to New York and worked with Mario for awhile in his restaurants. I went to cooking school back there."

As soon as he returned to Seattle, the couple took over a small narrow space in Pioneer Square and named it Salumi -- a neighborhood deli that quickly turned into a culinary destination.

"Our intent was to do homemade food, Italian food that we made. We made our own sausage, made our own pasta -- everything was truly traditional old Italian."

They're known for they're killer hot and cold sandwiches -- a list that's grown from the original two (which are still best sellers today).

"One was porchetta and one was meatball. They've stood the test of time."

Salumi is a block away from the old Merlino's - Seattle's first Italian import store owned by Armandino's grandfather Angelo. The tiny storefront is defined by the longest lunchtime line in Seattle. but that wasn't always the case.

"The first day I went outside and was drumming up business, giving out menus and two or three people came in and it just took off."

Armandino's daughter, Gina, and son-in-law now run Salumi. But dad's still responsible for the hand-crafting and carefully controlled aging process of the meats. They're all responsible for the intensely personal service.

"And that's what a food business has to be. We have to take care of people. We've just tried to carry that forward from the (store) front to the back. It's a family business."
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Jean have you been here? by esgunn (I have never heard o...)
Funny how our internet wanderings can lead to new discoveries. I really couldn't remember how I ended up on the above web site - I am slighly out of it with fever and possible Strep Throat coming on...

Anyway, The kids and I were watching one of the where food or about food shows on Foodnetwork. It was on Cheese. And they featured a Mac and Cheese made at a NY restaurant Maremma - called Moonshine. Started with a homemade red sauce, cream, Parmesan - Lot os Parmesan - Fusili and bourbon. I was trying to find the recipe online. Never did. Did stumble on Joanne Weir's web site where she lists her favorite restaurants. Was curious if any were in Seattle - This is the only one listed.

Oh where out traveling fingers take us...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Jean have you been here? by esgunn (Funny how our intern...)
Bless your heart Erin!!! Now YOU'VE got it. How cruel! To nurse 3 "babies" (don't tell them I said that) and now YOU'VE got it? Is you DH home from Turkey yet to help? (Sadly, I'm guessing "no" here.) I'll add you to my prayer list as well...a mom with three 6 year olds(just recovering from strep and wanting "OUT" and FOOD finally), alone and suffering strep alone herself...you need it! You are as deserving as anyone else here on my list...my heart goes out to you!

Regarding your site. I am so glad you posted it. I watched a Martha Stewart recently on Fine Living (I think that's the network) and he was on and talked about his dad's business. I had meant to check it out then, but didn't...so thanks!!!! Bookmarked and hoping to order some day soon. I'm thinking Thanksgiving would not be the same.....

BTW, I'm thinking of ordering the Sopressata. He used it on the show, but I'd have to go see how...I know it looked good enough for me to remember the name of the meat...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jean have you been here? by Gourmet_Mom (Bless your heart Eri...)

Erin

I haven't found this place yet - but its on my list of places to go

our Kids have gone and really enjoyed it.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Jean have you been here? by esgunn (I have never heard o...)
Thank you for this thread--I so admire Mario and his family--one of our sons (a mechanical engineer) has returned to Austin and wants to open a shop much like this one--one of our girls is working at Central Market as a cheese monger while finishing her degree--she wants to be food journalist--they could end up doing something together.

As for you --bourbon and honey, warm--tuck the kids in and go to bed. You'll still wake up if they need you.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Jean have you been here? by Old Bay (Thank you for this t...)
Quote:

As for you --bourbon and honey, warm--tuck the kids in and go to bed. You'll still wake up if they need you.

YUP! Sage advice from our Resident Sage can not be denied. And if you don't feel better in the morning, you will at least rest better. Hey Bill, you don't add a little lemon or orange squeeze to yours? Maybe I'm a wimp that way...LOL! That and memories of "that jar of stuff" under Dad's sink that he'd force on us unsuspecting kids....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jean have you been here? by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
My dad believed castor oil cured everything--he would take me to the drug store and I would get a shot of castor oil and root beer--I still don't drink root beer.
  Re: Re: Jean have you been here? by Old Bay (My dad believed cast...)
So you don't drink root beer anymore Bill? What about the castor oil?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Jean have you been here? by firechef (So you don't drink r...)
I knew Mario and family used to live in my old stomping grounds of Yakima and have heard of his Dad's place, but no have never been there - in fact its been years since we've been to Pike Place.

Erin, it must be going around up here - I've been sicker than I have been in years the last two days. Head stopped up, throat like it's on fire, had to sleep sitting up for most of last night so I could breath. Roy's in the middle of the last counter top and sink area, so hope he misses this crud.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean have you been here? by firechef (So you don't drink r...)
Quote:

So you don't drink root beer anymore Bill? What about the castor oil?

Neither--I guess the combination ruined the individual components.