Bruschetta with Egg Salad and Basil
  Re: (...)
I don't remember where I got this - we did it for the wedding in Ohio - but I think it would be a wonderful appy for Labor Day weekend. Everyone just loved it! I think I'll make a batch - serve it on little mini whole wheat pitas toasted or grilled.

Bruschetta with Egg Salad and Basil

makes 4 servings

6 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled, room temperature
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fruity olive oil
1 firmly packed tablespoon finely minced basil leaves (plus a little extra basil for garnish)
4 warm slices of grilled Italian bread rubbed with garlic and brushed with olive oil

1. Place peeled eggs in a large mixing bowl, and mash with a fork into large chunks. Cover and reserve at room temperature.

2. Place the egg yolks in the work bowl of a food processor. Add the mustard and lemon juice. Process for 10 seconds. Then, with the motor running, add the olive oil in a thin stream through the feed tube. When the mayonnaise has accepted all of the oil, taste for seasoning. The mayo should be very thick. Combine well with reserved mashed eggs, and with the basil. Taste again for seasoning.

3. Place the 4 bruschetta slices on 4 plates. Top each with one-quarter of the egg salad, and with a garnish of small basil leaves. Serve immediately
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Bruschetta with Egg Salad and Basil by Harborwitch (I don't remember whe...)
Oh Sharon, this sounds delicious. I adore eggsalad. Pita's sound good, or maybe a quick Blitz Bread? And how about some Spanish olives for a garnish too?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Bruschetta with Egg Salad and Basil by farnfam (Oh Sharon, this soun...)
does sound good and I need an egg salad for a baby shower coming up. thanks for posting this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bruschetta with Egg Salad and Basil by cjs (does sound good and ...)
There is something about the basil in this that just makes it amazing.

Cis we're staying away from regular bread for a while - nothing but whole grain stuff. But yes, it would be good on the blitz bread. It would make a nice sandwich on foccacia too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!