ISO Curry Vinaigrette
  Re: (...)
There's been lots of talk on the forum on different dressings / vinaigrettes folks really like. Years ago, I had a recipe for a rice/pea salad with a curry dressing. I lost the recipe years ago, and my sister who used to make it, can't remember even making it. What got me thinking about it is, my Italian grocery store carries a 7 grain salad, with a curry dressing.

Mine was not anything complicated, no frying/grinding the spices, just store bought curry powder. If anyone has a recipe, I'd be very grateful. I could try all kinds of versions, but going thru the house and packing takes up a lot of time. So why am I posting some ask?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: ISO Curry Vinaigrette by Lorraine (There's been lots of...)
sounds interesting - white chocolate & garlic mashed potatoes and curry vin...what a combination of flavors to be searching for!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: ISO Curry Vinaigrette by Lorraine (There's been lots of...)
Lorraine, I have a cous cous sald and this great - it has a curry yogurt dressing - not a vin. I'll give you the whole recipe. Just give me a minute to type it up.

Here it is:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cous Cous Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup couscous
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3/4 pound zucchini (2 small) -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots -- chopped

Dressing
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons major Grey's Mango Chutney
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
cayenne pepper -- to taste

Bring chicken stock to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in Couscous.
Cover and let stand 5 minutes.

Toast Almonds. Fluff cous cous with a fork. Stir together dressing
ingredients.

Add remaining ingredients an enough dressing to moisten.

Refrigerate 2 hours.

Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: ISO Curry Vinaigrette by esgunn (Lorraine, I have a ...)
Here is one from Food and Wine Lorraine...

Maine Lobster and Asparagus Salad with Curry Vinaigrette

SERVES: 6

Curry oil adds an unusual twist to Kelly's succulent lobster salad. The recipe makes more oil than you'll need, so drizzle the extra on sea bass or swordfish before grilling. The curry oil needs to stand overnight, so plan accordingly.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup Madras curry powder
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1 cup light olive oil
* Three 1 1/4-pound lobsters
* 1 pound pencil-thin asparagus
* 2 1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
* 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
* 1/2 red bell pepper, very finely diced
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 6 cups micro greens or mesclun (about 6 ounces)
* 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
* 1/4 cup snipped chives

Directions

1. In a medium jar, stir the curry powder with the water to make a thick paste. Add the oil, cover tightly and shake to mix thoroughly. Let stand overnight. The next day, pour the curry oil into a clean jar, leaving all of the sediment behind.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the lobsters until bright red all over, about 12 minutes. Plunge the lobsters into ice water, then drain. Twist off the claws, crack them and remove the meat. With kitchen scissors, slit the tail shells lengthwise and remove the meat. Discard the vein that runs the length of each tail. Slice the tails crosswise 1/4 inch thick.
3. Bring a medium skillet of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Plunge the asparagus into ice water, then drain and pat dry.
4. In a small bowl, pour the Champagne vinegar over the shallot and let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in 5 tablespoons of the curry oil until blended. Add the red bell pepper and season the curry vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl, toss the greens, cilantro and chives with half of the vinaigrette. Arrange the greens on a platter and surround with the asparagus. Top with the lobster, drizzle on the remaining vinaigrette and serve.

MAKE AHEAD The curry oil can be refrigerated for 1 month. The lobster meat can be refrigerated for 1 day.

WINE The sweet lobster and the curry vinaigrette in this salad call for a full-bodied, fruity Rhône-style white. Try the 1999 Andrew Murray Vineyards Enchanté Santa Barbara County, a blend of Roussanne, Marsanne and Viognier, or the 1998 Qupé Roussanne Edna Valley Alban Vineyard.

Recipe by Melissa Kelly
From Great Escapes, Great Restaurants
This recipe originally appeared in May, 2001.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: ISO Curry Vinaigrette by firechef (Here is one from Foo...)
I never would have thougth of pairing lobster with curry, but it sounds great. I like couscous, and the yogurt dressing sounds great also. Add some cooked chicken to it, and I have a meal! Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: ISO Curry Vinaigrette by Lorraine (I never would have t...)
They both sound very tasty
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO Curry Vinaigrette by cjs (They both sound very...)
Made Erin's Couscous last night to go with the cinnamon/coffee chix thighs. This is a good dish, but it does need to be made early for the flavors to come out. We nibbled on it too long after we were full.
www.achefsjourney.com