Salt and Pepper Tofu Review
  Re: (...)
I dont expect many to try this one, and it is so unfortunate. This is a really great recipe. I order tofu out all the time, but have never cooked it myself. It was the absolute best tofu I have ever eaten. The recipe says shrimp can be subbed for the tofu for those who do not like it. I was suspicious of serving the Greek type salsa on spinach fettuccine, but it was perfect. I would not change a thing about this recipe and will be making it often as long as tomatoes are in season. Dont be shy about seasoning the tofu and I found mine took more like 5 minutes on each side to cook rather than the 2 minutes they suggest. I thought the BLT pasta dish was very good, but this is hands down even better! I served it with garlic bread. By the way, this is from the Cuisine for Two cook book.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by chef_Tab (I dont expect many t...)
Better than the BLT, huh? I'll have to check that out. While I don't eat tofu...yet...I don't have a problem subbing shrimp. I REALLY need to pay closer attention to those little "sub" memos at the corner of those pages.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by chef_Tab (I dont expect many t...)
I'm not a big fan, but I like tofu in sweet and sour soup. Soy is really good in soy sauce. There is growing evidence that it increases estrogen and therefore can increase the risk for breast cancer in estrogen positive women. It takes a lot, so it is most at risk in vegitarians who make it a major part of their diet. Just passing on what I have studied--we still use soy sauce and limited tofu.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by Old Bay (I'm not a big fan, b...)
That sounds very YUM to me Theresa. I have that Cuisine for Two cookbook. I don't remember seeing it tho' I shall have to go look. Thanks for the review and piqueing my interest. What page was that on????
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by farnfam (That sounds very YUM...)
Bill, you research, you learn, you share the word! Now I will go out and research. I live with a brain tumor you know...don't want that little guy getting aggresive and growing would we?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by Gourmet_Mom (Bill, you research, ...)
Cis, it is on page 76.

In an effort to eat more healthful, I make at least one vegetarian meal each week. We are not vegetarians and probably eat tofu once a month. I too did a lot of research on soy. I get migraines and had read that drinking a soy shake every day might get rid of them. I tried it for several months, with no changes. More research made me conclude that like with many things, excess can be harmful. I have read about the possible link to estrogen and since I am at high risk for breast cancer, I do not intake large quantities of soy. I honestly feel that we are in greater danger from pesticides and artificial ingredients. Whenever possible, I buy organic. Even the cats' litter is made from corn husks. You can always sub in the shrimp(knowing seafood has it's own risks)or even serve this as a side. The tomato "salsa" on the fettuccine with the feta and olives was fabulous all by itself!
Theresa

Re: Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by chef_Tab (Cis, it is on page 7...)
Thanks for the review, Theresa. Sounds good and I did notice this recipe.

About the soy thing, never heard of the possible breast cancer issue. I wonder how much is too much? I often make a fresh fruit smoothie using light vanilla soy milk for breakfast and as a snack I eat edamame a couple of times a week. And of course a recipe here and there with soy sauce.

Breast cancer has run on my mom's side of the family (though my mother has never had it - thank god.)
  Re: Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by Trixxee (Thanks for the revie...)
Trixxee, I am not sure about the safe limits to soy. You can make yourself crazy with some of these studies. I just try to keep in mind that more is not always better. If you like smoothies, I am currently addicted to almond butter and banana. I keep frozen bananas in the freezer at all times. I just cut up half a banana, 2 heaping tablespoons of almond butter, and skim milk. I blend it with my immersion blender and this has been my daily breakfast for months now. I think I am addicted. My husband likes to add chocolate protien powder to his.
Theresa

Re: Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by chef_Tab (Trixxee, I am not su...)
O.K. those of you who do use tofu - a few years ago, I had a dish that I really liked using tofu and someone told me to always buy a certain type of tofu to use. Now, I can't remember what to look for....darn CRS

I'd like to try this dish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Salt and Pepper Tofu Review by cjs (O.K. those of you wh...)
I think if you are going to use it in a smoothie or something like that, the silken tofu is best. But if you are going to fry it as in the "salt and pepper tofu" dish, it needs the be the regular-firm. I am considering taking a tofu cooking class being offered this fall through our rec center.
Theresa