Monday's Dinner
  Re: (...)
Houseboat Don took us to the greatest meat market in Portland this weekend and I picked up some good lookin' sausage - Andouille, Spanish Chorizo, and a garlic-jalapeno.

In my M.C. I found a Michel Chariello (how do you spell that???) recipe that I had saved sometime that sounds good.

Andouille Sausage Pizza Pie with Onion Confit and fontina cheese - that's for tonight.

And for the chorizo, Gil (Mr. Lorraine) posted a recipe from his newspaper in 2003!! Sweet Corn & shrimp risotto that calls for Spanish chorizo - sounds so good, if it will stay cool.

But...I haven't even opened the new issue of C@H, so all bets may be off when I go thru it

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner by cjs (Houseboat Don took u...)
Last night I made the BLT pasta and it was so good. The garlicy bread crumbs really make the dish. I doubled the red pepper flakes, and wont do that again, though hubby loved the heat. Tonight I am planning to make the Salt and Pepper Tofu from the Cuisine for Two book. It is sort of a Greek salad served on spinach fetticine. I cant help but wonder if it would be better on spinach leaves, but I will make it as the recipe reads, this time!

Your sausage sounds so yummy, Jean, especially the chorizo! Love the idea for the risotto. Was that posted on this forum? And I don't have my new C@H issue yet. boohoo.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
We're getting ready to go on a short vacation Wednesday - going to pick up our son in NH from camp (he's been the camp cook for the summer), so today and tomorrow we're cleaning out the fridge and eating from the garden. Since we planted the tomatoes late, we'll have them to deal with when we get home. Right now we're long on cherry tomatoes and I found a couple recipes searching the web - below.

After we pick up our son on Friday night or Saturday morning, we're going to spend the weekend in Boston. Son asked for dinner reservations at Blue Ginger, so we'll do that. We also have tickets to see the Sox vs the Sox on Sunday. Some friends have made other restaurant suggestions for us there... Olives, Helmand's, Pomodoro, Mike's Pastry, Figs... Not sure which one's we'll get to. Otherwise, we'll be bopping about the city seeing the sights.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cherry Tomato and Avocado Salsa

Recipe By :Thomas Cenci
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 ripe avocado
1/2 small onion
1 small red chili
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tsp caster sugar
2 cloves fresh garlic -- peeled and chopped
15 cherry tomatoes -- quartered
Salt and pepper

1. Finely chop the onion, chili, and garlic.

2. Mix together with the sugar and season well with salt and pepper.

3. Slice the avocado and add to the mix with the vinegar.

4. Add the cherry tomatoes and mix well.

5. Serve on top of some freshly baked bread or use as a dressing for a salad.

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.tomatocasual.com/2008/06/28/recipe-cherry-tomato-and-avoca
o-salsa/"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 87 Calories; 1g Fat (7.7% calories
from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 26mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Other
Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

White Beans and Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cans white beans -- (15 ounce) such as Great Northern or canelli beans, drained and rinsed
1 pint cherry tomatoes -- halved
1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley
Dressing ingredients
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic -- peeled and smashed
1 sprig fresh rosemary -- (3 inch)
3 anchovy fillets -- coarsely chopped (omit for vegetarian option)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice

1 Start by making the dressing. Put the garlic and rosemary in olive oil
in a small saucepan. Heat on medium until the rosemary begins to sizzle.
Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes, allowing the
rosemary and garlic to infuse in the oil.

2 Remove rosemary sprig from the oil, discard. Remove the garlic from the
oil, reserving the oil. Add the garlic, anchovies (omit for vegetarian
option), Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and lemon juice to a
food processor. Pulse until smooth.

3 In a medium bowl, gently fold the garlic mixture in with the beans until
they are well coated. Let sit for a few minutes for the beans to absorb.
Gently mix in the reserved olive oil, tomatoes, and parsley

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/002073white_beans_and_cherry_to
ato_salad.php"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 212 Calories; 10g Fat (39.6%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 2mg
Cholesterol; 319mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat;
1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner by HomeCulinarian (We're getting ready ...)
Lucky you! I love Boston. You could stock up on Linguica and New England style hot dog buns! I have not been to this restaurant in years, but for fresh seafood, you could hardly beat "The No Name". Back in the day, you could bring your own wine and beer, you ate at picnic tables, and there was nothing fancy. But the steamers and lobster were fresh and steamed perfectly. Maybe by now it has changed or even gone.
Theresa

Re: Re: Monday's Dinner by chef_Tab (Lucky you! I love Bo...)
That bean salad sounds especially good! have a great mini-vacation.

Tab, here's the recipe from Gil - from a long time ago -

Sweet corn and shrimp 'risotto'
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8

1 pound large shrimp, in shell
1/2 cup chopped green onion (trimmings saved)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (trimmings saved)
2 1/2 tsps. salt, divided
3 to 4 zucchini (4 cups sliced)
6 ears of corn (about 5 cups kernels)
1 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup diced Spanish chorizo or other mildly spicy dried sausage (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsps. slivered basil

1. Shell the shrimp, collecting shells in a small deep saucepan; set shrimp aside. Add green onion and red bell pepper trimmings to saucepan. Barely cover shells and trimmings with water, about 3 to 3 1/2 cups, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook 30 minutes, then remove from heat and let steep another 30 minutes. Sitr in 1/2 teaspoon salt and strain into a measuring cup. You should have about 3 cups of shrimp stock; what you don't use for this recipe can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.

2. Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise, then into crosswise slices about 3/8-inch thick. You should have about 4 cups.

3. Cut corn from the cobs by holding each cob upright in a wide, shallow bowl and cutting away kernels with a sharp knife. Using the back of the knife, scrape any corn left on the cob into bowl.

4. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until well browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add green onion and red bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

5. Add zucchini and shrimp and cook for a minute. Season with 2 teaspoons salt. Add wine and raise heat to high. Cook until mixture is reduced to a syrup, about 5 minutes. Add corn and 1/2 cup shrimp stock and let it reduce. Add another 1/2 cup stock and whipping cream and cook just until slightly thickened and creamy, about 5 minutes.

6. Remove pan from heat and stir in slivered basil. Taste and adjust seasoning and serve immediately.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner by cjs (That bean salad soun...)
Oh my, this sounds even better than I had imagined. What do you normally serve with this? Thanks so much for posting!
Theresa

I'm not sure what we're going to do. I am thinking about taking the kids to Chuck E. Cheese for one last hurrah before school starts tomorrow. If we do that it will be pizza ala CEC and salad bar for me.

I do have a gorgeous eggplant that my darling husband got from the farmer's market yesterday. I think I'm going to make some eggplant parm. Since my brother and I are the only ones that eat the stuff, I will make a small pan to eat and one to freeze.
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner by mlucas1 (I'm not sure what we...)
Tab, I haven't made it yet - but will probably just have a green salad. Cis' grapefruit vin. would be good, I bet.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner by cjs (Tab, I haven't made ...)
Easy dinner tonight. Chicken soft tacos and rice a roni Spanish rice. My husband accidentally opened a can of mexican style diced tomatoes yesterday (thinking they were plain) and I don't want to throw them out so boxed rice it is. And that's all my little brain could come up with.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner by HomeCulinarian (We're getting ready ...)
Blue Ginger???!!!! I am so jealous! Be sure to take pictures of your food, HC. Have a wonderful time. Hope you get to meet Ming!

Thanks for posting the good sounding recipes, and thank you Jean, for posting yours.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."