How about this rub?
  Re: (...)
I got it from somewhere on CAH, but can't remember where...CRS again.

Should I marinate AND rub or one or the other? Guess my amateurism is showing huh? That's okay though.
* Exported from MasterCook *

Big Bob Gibson's Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pork shoulder (18 to 20 pounds)
DRY RUB
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Paprika
1/2 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup Kosher Salt -- finely ground
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
INJECTION BASTE
1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt -- finely ground
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Make the dry rub:

Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a shaker. Store leftover rub in an airtight container.

Make the baste:

Whisk together the apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Fill a basting syringe and begin injecting the meat. You'll want to use about 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) per pound of shoulder. Coat the shoulder well with dry rub and refrigerate overnight.

Cook on a pit or smoker for about 1 hour per pound or to an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Pull or chop the meat. Pile the meat onto buns for sandwiches. Leftovers can be frozen for up to 1 month. Makes enough for about 30 sandwiches.

*This is the recipe I used back on Kambree's birthday for the party we had.

Need a sauce recipe too??? I normally do an apple bbq sauce for this one.

As for the smoking I do have to refer you to the "operating instructions"...sorry

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: How about this rub? by bjcotton (I got it from somewh...)
The thread is "Ok, let's smoke". I've got my piggy in the smoker now. We did the injection baste, then we used the left over baste and made it into a "brine" overnight. We used the rub shortly before we put him in the smoker. Geeze the backyard smells good!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Billy, this rub recipe looks a lot like the one that Mister uses for the boston butt - looks yummy!!!!!!!!
Billy, I stopped marinating long cooking , smoked meat. With pork, I don't use the brown sugar--I like a combination of allspice amd cinnamin instead--more fruit and less sugar. The rest of the rub is like mine.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: How about this rub? by Old Bay (Billy, I stopped mar...)
Billy...I posted this one for you. Sharon changed it around and posted her changes to make it more of a maple themed rub and injection.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)