Maple Candy help
  Re: (...)
HI,

There was a lengthy post with the recipe for maple candy. Can somebody find it as I seem to not copy the recipe.

Thanks
  Re: Maple Candy help by piano226 (HI,[br][br]There was...)
I bumped one up to the top - is it the one?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Maple Candy help by esgunn (I bumped one up to t...)
Here is how it is written in my Great-grandfather's notes in a family recipes book...

MAPLE CANDY

1 quart Light Amber Pure Maple Syrup

Cook McLure's Pure Maple Syrup to 238° - 240°F. Cool until temperature reaches 190°F. Stir constantly until syrup becomes sugary. Pour into molds until cool. Remove.

Tips for Making Maple Candy:

* Always use the freshest, light-grade syrup (Fancy or Light Amber in the U.S.; Light or Extra-Light in Canada). Darker grades and old syrup may not crystallize.

* On a sunny day, when the air pressure is high, boil the syrup approximately 1° higher; on a cloudy day, approximately 1° lower.

* When syrup is cooling, it must be left undisturbed, or large crystals will form, ruining the texture of the candy. Do not remove the candy thermometer from the pot at this stage, since even a small movement can affect the outcome; leave it clipped to the side.

* If the candy mixture "seizes" while you are beating it, try reheating in gently on top of the stove, stirring all the while, until the mixture becomes liquid again, then immediately pour it into the pan or other container.

Don't know if this helps you or not but hope it does.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)