Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for....
  Re: (...)
creamed corn? My husband went to the local farmer's market today and brought home some really beautiful corn and I would like to serve it with the pork loin I am planning on for tomorrow.

We had some delicious creamed corn (it had pancetta in it and was still fresh from the cob crunchy.....)at a steakhouse last year (Fred and Steve's) and I would love to try to duplicate it, but I don't even know where to start.
  Re: Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for.... by mlucas1 (creamed corn? My hus...)
This is the recipe I use every Thanksgiving, Christmas. It's excellent. Gulliver's is a fairly famous prime rib restaurant here in Orange County.

Gulliver's Creamed Corn

2 (20-ounce) packages frozen corn
1 cup (8 ounces) whipping cream
1 cup (8 ounces) milk
1 teaspoon salt
6 teaspoons sugar
Pinch of white or cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Combine all ingredients, except butter and flour, in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes.
Blend butter with flour, add to the corn, mix well and remove from heat.
Serves 8.

Variation: Put finished corn in heat proof casserole, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and place under a broiler until evenly browned.
  Re: Re: Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for.. by Trixxee (This is the recipe I...)
That's almost exactly how I make it - I just add some freshly grated nutmeg. Haven't made creamed corn in a long long time.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for.. by Trixxee (This is the recipe I...)
Only suggestion I would have would be get some fresh sweet corn and cut off the kernals, add to the dish and then scrape the ear to get the milk out and into the dish--it's really sweet and natural.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for.... by mlucas1 (creamed corn? My hus...)
That's the same recipe I use. Once in a while I add a little chopped pickled jalapeno ala Fleming's Steakhouse.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for.. by Old Bay (Only suggestion I wo...)
The Maque Choux has bacon in it, as well as onion, red bell pepper, and cream with thinly sliced shallot at the end and it was VERY much like creamed corn to me...better actually. All you'd have to do is sub out the bacon. I hunted for years a recipe to match my GrandMIL's and sooo many were too heavy on the cream taste...until this one. I guess since she put bacon grease in nearly everything, that would be why this comes closest!

It's in the Drunken Pork Kebob thread, but I thought I'd add it here in case you're interested. Then you won't have to hunt it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Maque Choux

Recipe By :Erin
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 slices thick-sliced bacon -- diced
3/4 cup red bell pepper -- diced
1/2 cup onion -- diced
1/4 cup dry sherry
4 cups fresh corn kernels
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/2 cup scallions -- thinly sliced

Saute bacon in a large saute pan over medium heat until crisp; pou off all but 1 T. drippings.

Add bell pepper and onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes.

Deglaze with sherry until nearly evaporated, scraping up bits from bottom of pan. Stir in corn, cream, and Tabasco and simmer until
thickened, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in scallions.

Source:
"Recipe By :C@H Cusine Tonight Grilling Page 54-55"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Thanks everyone! After a little bit of searching I think that I am going to try the recipe from the Pioneer Woman blog. I am going to try to add some bacon or pancetta to it. But I'm book marking these recipes for later use!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for.. by Gourmet_Mom (The Maque Choux has ...)
That Maque Choux recipe sounds great. Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.