Review+ Hot Bacon Slaw
  Re: (...)
I didn't see where anyone had reviewed this one. It's from the Quick and Easy Menus. To me, bacon and apples go hand in hand. You got the tart from the apple cider vinegar, and the sweet of the sugar. For me, it's a nine.

Subs I didn't have thick cut bacon, so used regular. I had bought 1/2 head of Savoy cabbage ( for $0.40 ), so used that. Neither was a problem.

Strange though. As much as I loved it, one person wouldn't even try a hot slaw. (But that didn't really surprise me). The other had one spoonful and had no comments. I brought a little container to have with lunch today, and it was as good cold as it was hot. I'll definitely make this again. It may not be the most appropriate dish to serve in summer, but I think in the dead of winter it will be great, especially with something like grilled porkchops (pork and poek, you can't go wrong!).
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Review+ Hot Bacon Slaw by Lorraine (I didn't see where a...)
I'll have to look...I think this is in another publication. (I don't have the one you mention.) If not, I may have to hit you up for this one...sound really good! Odd as it may sound to some of you, we put apple cider vinegar on steamed cabbage all the time. I'm assuming this is similar to what you are describing here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review+ Hot Bacon Slaw by Gourmet_Mom (I'll have to look......)
That is a good recipe, Lorraine. I remember making that a while back and we both liked it hot and cold. And I didn't have thick cut bacon either, just plain old regular, but it worked just fine. Thanks for bringing it up, it will remind me to make it again!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review+ Hot Bacon Slaw by Mare749 (That is a good recip...)
You know Daphne, I thought that was a New England thing - the vinegar on cabbage. I can't serve a boiled dinner or fried cabbage without putting vinegar on the table for Bruce.

But add bacon to it and now we are talking to me!!!
  Re: Re: Review+ Hot Bacon Slaw by iBcookin (You know Daphne, I t...)
hmmm, I guess I don't have that publication either - was it a side dish to another one? or a main offering?

Is this it??? I have this book - Weeknight menus #1

Bacon Dressing Slaw
(Weeknight Menus, p. 27)
Makes: About 6 Cups Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Easy

Fry:
6 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced

Add; Whisk in:
1 cup onions, diced
1 cup tart apples, such as Gala or Braeburn, cored, diced
1 T. all-purpose flour

Stir in; Add:
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
8 cups green cabbage, shredded
3 T. chopped fresh parsley

Fry bacon in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings.

Add onions and apples and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 more minutes.

Stir in vinegar, sugar, broth, salt, and pepper. Add the cabbage and toss to wilt, 4–5 minutes. Stir in parsley just before serving. Shown with Breaded Pork Chops.

and here's the pork chops - love breaded chops!!
Breaded Pork Chops
(Weeknight Menus, p. 27)
Makes: 4 Chops Total Time: 1 Hour Rating: Easy

Prepare:
4 bone-in pork loin chops, 1" thick (6–8 oz. each)
Salt and pepper

Dredge with; Saute in:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups bread crumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400°.

Prepare chops, pounding to 1/2" thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Dredge chops in flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, letting excess drip back into the bowl. Then coat with bread crumbs, patting so crumbs adhere. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Saute 2 chops, turning once, until golden on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a baking sheet, then repeat procedure with remaining chops. Place baking sheet in oven; roast 6 more minutes. Shown with Bacon Dressing Slaw.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review+ Hot Bacon Slaw by Lorraine (I didn't see where a...)
Quote:

Strange though. As much as I loved it, one person wouldn't even try a hot slaw. (But that didn't really surprise me).

Story of my life, Lorraine. I did a similar slaw 20 years ago for a dinner, and people were a little leary of a dish that's usually served cold, served hot. We have the same reaction with customers when something like this is on the menu.

However, this won't stop me. I want to try this particular dish and I will, sooner or later the oppportunity will present and I'll go for it.

Thanks for the review.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Review+ Hot Bacon Slaw by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
" guess I don't have that publication either "

The front cover has the Bacon Wrapped Cider Pork Steaks (earmarked for net week) and the Marmalade Sweet Potatoes. I don't remember buying it, but that's not unusual. Thanks for posting the recipes, Jean.

PJ, Gil sometimes does a Hot Asian Slaw as a side, and for some reason, they like it down there.

Cabbage and vinegar is a natural for me, so add bacon and apples and you can't go wrong.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.