Time, and room in the frig and freezer
  Re: Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by cjs (I'm thinking...but I...)
Are you on the road to Tacoma again, Jean? Man, some people get to have all the fun!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by Gourmet_Mom (Are you on the road ...)
Hey Cory,here's a picture of the watermelon sherbert bombe and some simple directions. It is quite attractive

http://www.yumsugar.com/1656340

Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by Corinne (I don't understand h...)
Corinne, how many people are you expecting? Will it be inside, outside, buffet? Do you plan on grilling? Have you ever worked with phyllo? Inquiring minds need to know.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by Corinne (I don't understand h...)
Cory, I have a couple of quickies for you that look nice. A salad, such as shrimp, chicken or curried chicken with almonds and grapes or mandarin oranges, or crab or lobster, in a premade phyllo cup, or on a Belgian endive leaf. These only take a minute or 2 to assemble morning of. Garnish with something appropriate.

Or, you could make pinwheel sandwiches the day before, with different fillings and different colored wraps and condiments (like pepper jelly, or chutney). I always make these a day ahead so they hold their shape when they're sliced thinly (app size).

Real easy cheatSmile

Throw a combo of shredded parm and grated parm (yup, that stuff) on your cutting board. Roll out some puff pastry, spread liberally with pesto and more cheese, cut into strips and twist. Then freeze, egg wash and bake off as needed.

The smell alone will have people thinking you've been at it all day!

PJ
  Re: Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by pjcooks (Cory, I have a coupl...)
I LOVE the parm bread sticks! Speaking of pinwheels, Sharon posted the one she used for the wedding. You may want to look at that thread and the several other threads where others were asking for advice on graduation parties. I remember a LOT of ideas there. Also, Jean has done several catering gigs and posted her ideas and/or recipes.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by pjcooks (Cory, I have a coupl...)
I'm thinking along the lines of Lorraine (Hi Gil!!! You made me a Groucho Marx fan!) Give us a few more details and we will help you from afar and I am sure some may even pm and offer to talk you through it if you'd like...

Tell us what your husband likes and what you would do for him if you could make anything and what you have worked with and what you want to spend on his dinner and we will give you some fun menu ideas! 65 is a biggie!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by firechef (I'm thinking along t...)
Daphne, no not on the road...there is one RV sales yard here in town we thought we'd check out, but they didn't have anything of real interest. Darn!

Cory, check out the thread I brought to the top entitled:

"Need menu suggestions for weekend guests!"

It's 8 pages of wonderful ideas for entertaining in an easy manner. I think it's our best thread on this subject we've had around here. Have fun!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by cjs (Daphne, no not on th...)
Thank you all for your thoughts and time. Oh my, the cursor is moving by itself to the left. I'll definately copy this before I hit Send.

Lorainne - The party is a cookout buffet with about 40 people. I set up the buffet inside and people eat all over the house and yard. I used to maked phyllo footballs all the time. That could be a very easy, sit at the table, watch tv and fold project. Thanks for the reminder.

Daphne - I love the taco idea. The kids would gobble those up. We did the make your own pizzas the year before last and it didn't work well for the crowd.

Instead of grilling chicken, I'm contemplating skewered marinated chicken with a peanut sauce.

Old Bay, I have made a watermelon whale from an appetizer book and it was really cute but that's a whole lot of space in the frig. I have a churn ice cream maker and an electric one so I contemplating homemade ice cream and peach is my favorite.

Cis - One year I received that As Seen on Tv cake and/or ice cream maker. You can make the cake and it is hollow so it can be filled with ice cream or whipped cream. I need to get that little baby out. I bet it would make a great zuccota (sp) cake. I am a gadget queen, too. Great site and the bombe looks very easy.

Sonja - I'm going to save the Pineapple Casserole for Christmas when we make a big ham (or Honey Baked). That sounds like a great recipe.

Daphne - that ice ring is very doable (beautiful) and I usually do buy several pounds of shrimp

I haven't made a Trifle in forever and they are so beautiful. I love that idea.

PJ "A salad, such as shrimp, chicken or curried chicken with almonds and grapes or mandarin oranges, or crab or lobster, in a premade phyllo cup". Oh this is a definate Do. I hadn't thought about phyllo cups at all.

Now I'm off to check that other thread. Thank you all so much for your help. Notice I am copying this before I click Continue.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by Corinne (Thank you all for yo...)
Good deal Cory! Looks like you're well on your way! I love when this kind of thread comes around...gets everybody's juices running!

I have GOT to have a party so I can play with phyllo cups! I LOVE those things!

Yea, Cory, when I'm having problems, I copy mine before I hit Continue...LOL! (Every time there's a storm to the west, my internet starts dropping in and out.) That's a lot of brain power down the drain if you loose it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Time, and room in the frig and freezer by Corinne (Thank you all for yo...)
" used to maked phyllo footballs all the time "

I have a few really tasty recipes if you're interested.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.