Chicken
  Re: (...)
I've got a question. We had lunch at a new place in town after church today. It's got promise. Anyway, for a lunch special, I had fried chicken over rice with gravy. I was a little disappointed in the gravy, but everything else was good. The question is this. I was surprised at the presentation of the chicken breast. It was a fillet with the wing drummette still attached. I KNOW I've heard of this before...something about flight or airplane, but I can't for the life of me remember...dang CRS! Could someone please help a poor old fool whose mind has gone a-wandering?

One of the other diners said they had some lovely bacon wrapped scallops last night, and her husband's rib eye was perfect. It must have been good, they were back today for lunch. AND they have a bar...although closed on Sunday! The only other place "in town" that serves cocktails is a Mexican place, that we don't care for. We'll see. If you want to understand how rural I am located, check it out. They only last year allowed liquor by the drink...only "in town", and it's not been too long since the blue law still existed in this county. A neighboring county still doesn't have ABC stores!!!! You gotta love rural America.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Chicken by Gourmet_Mom (I've got a question....)
It's called an airline breast. The cut was first seen back in 1960's. Airlines began offering "fine dining" for their first class travelers. Well because in order for it to fit in their heating ovens they had to use small chicken breasts. (not like the mondo one we get today) To ensure the portions would be sufficient, the wing was left attached.

Well it looked ugly, so they took a tip from the French and "frenched" the bone.

Hope that's what you meant
  Re: Re: Chicken by DFen911 (It's called an airli...)
" airline breast "

I thought the same thing.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Chicken by Lorraine (" airline breast "[...)
DUH, I knew it had to do with airplanes...LOL! Thanks you guys!!!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken by Gourmet_Mom (DUH, I knew it had t...)
...and can you ever get chefs going on this one!! Lots disagree with exactly what an airline cut really is. We've had 'heated' debates on forums over this.

Airline breast/supreme/French breast - skin on/off, wing bone on/off, left/right, Frenched/not Frenched.....on and on!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken by Gourmet_Mom (I've got a question....)
Quote:

The only other place "in town" that serves cocktails is a Mexican place, that we don't care for. We'll see. If you want to understand how rural I am located, check it out. They only last year allowed liquor by the drink...only "in town", and it's not been too long since the blue law still existed in this county. A neighboring county still doesn't have ABC stores!!!! You gotta love rural America.

Having been reading your posts for how ever long, maybe you could offer yourself as a consultant to improve their menu and recipes. You certainly sound like a chef to me.

We can buy drinks on Sunday but no liquor/beer stores are open. I really do not understand why.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Chicken by Corinne ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Could someone please help a poor old fool" Daphne, I didn't know you were old
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Chicken by bjcotton ("Could someone pleas...)
Yeah! I thought she was one of the "youngsters" in the crowd!

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chicken by Harborwitch (Yeah! I thought she...)
Corinne, thanks for the vote of confidence. You know, I have considered getting into the restaruant/cooking game one of these days, but need to keep my day job for the benefits...LOL!

Billy and Sharon, I'm not that far behind you guys! I've decided having college age kids and older is making me age faster! And I thought having young kids was tough!
Daphne