Toaster Oven Advice?
  Re: (...)
I want to buy a toaster oven to replace my toaster (I miss cheese toast) - do any of you have any recommendations for a toaster oven that isn't huge but does a pretty good job on toast? I've Googled and I see lots of negatives out there about toaster ovens and their ability to toast, so now I don't know what to buy! Thx!
  Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by carolekv (I want to buy a toas...)
I have never owned a toaster oven, but often wished I did. I will be interested in the responses you get. I feel so wasteful heating the oven for small items. I know that in general, I have NEVER been happy with anything by Black and Decker. I have several appliances that are Cuisinart and absolutely love them. Good luck to you! Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by chef_Tab (I have never owned a...)
I too have been switching most of my small appliances to Cuisinart or KitchenAid. I recently became dissatisfied with my deep-fryer because it takes over a gallon of oil to fill to the "minimum" line...it is a EuroPro, so am shopping for a different (read smaller) one. I just gave my toaster oven to my niece because with my new stove I don't feel I need it anymore...we'll see...as you've no doubt become familiar with me it's one of my "Billy" moves. Leap before you look
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by bjcotton (I too have been swit...)
I haven't owned a toaster oven in years. It is too big and not very convenient to store. I try to have my small appliances off the counter and only the FoodSaver stays out. So, I just use my oven.
  Re: Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by HomeCulinarian (I haven't owned a to...)
I fell in love with the original, G.E. Toaster Oven many years ago, when my great grandmother had one. Since then, I've seen quite a number of variations and models.

The one I have now is one for which I HAVE seen negative comments, but it has worked like a champ for me. As far as I know, this brand/model IS available in the States.

What I have is a DeLonghi "Alfredo Accu Time" (XA660), which can handle up to six slices, and works very well. It is also VERY handy for the oven functionality, and can even accommodate an 8" x 8" baking ban or a 9" cake pan. Because of that, I use it quite often when I don't want to use up too much propane by heating up my full oven for something small. Also, since my gas oven doesn't have a broiler or salamander, I roast peppers in my toaster oven, and the tray that comes with it can easily hold seven or eight good-sized bell peppers.

As far as storage is concerned, I don't bother. There's a particular part of the counter, the way this kitchen is designed, that is perfect for my microwave, and I just keep the toaster oven right on top of the microwave.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by labradors (I fell in love with ...)
I want one, but I hate giving up the counter space for it and I don't have any cupboard room for it. It's funny I find if I put an appliance in the cupboard I never use it.

The biggest pro for it, for me, would be I don't have to turn on my big oven's broiler for garlic bread, or when I do baked chicken to get that nice toasted crust on the top.

Gah..now I really want one...darn you!
  Re: Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by DFen911 (I want one, but I ha...)
LOL, well, I wanted one so bad that I just got back from Bed Bath and Beyond. I was impatient because I made cheese toast this AM for my son before school. I toasted the bread and then microwaved it with cheese to melt - he politely sad it was good but a bit 'chewy'.

So, I bought a Cuisinart Basic type oven. I couldn't resist because as I looked at it, I thought you can't really fail with this brand, looks like a good size, has some of the features I've read you need, etc. Then I saw that the price on the counter was 79.99, a price on one box was 99.99 and then a price on another was 59.99. All the same model. Well, with some serious (yeah, 1/2 second) deliberation, I opted for the cheaper one. Told them at the front counter that they might want to check it out, but in the meantime, I wanted mine for 59.99, plus I had a 20% off coupon. Yay! I love shopping moments like that. Will tell you how it works in my next chapter...
  Re: Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by carolekv (LOL, well, I wanted ...)
OMG! That's a hoot! Why don't things like that happen to me?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by carolekv (LOL, well, I wanted ...)
Wow! That was quite the find! If this happens to you often, I need to shop with you. You have good shopping Karma! There are so many things I want that I am just at a stand still. Rice cooker, toaster oven, electric tea kettle, and food processor. Always something.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Toaster Oven Advice? by chef_Tab (I have never owned a...)
we don't have one either and cheese toast it my "sick" food (plus ginger ale with lime sherbert- these are from childhood days) - Mister always makes mine in the oven - and it does heat up the whole kitchen but like some of you, we don't have the room on the counter - we have the tiniest counter space imaginable - so I have to always drag everything out - the foodsaver, the blender, the food processor, the meat slicer, etc. With the deep fat fryers,the george foreman, the panini maker, the waffle maker and convection oven I keep those in the "summer" kitchen on the sunporch - in my second life I am going to have a one bedroom house with a HUGE kitchen!!! (yeah, right) - on the subject, you can't ever go wrong with Cuisinart - we are replacing all of our things that just stop working with Cuisinart