Lettuce Wraps
  Re: (...)
This is the recipe I used tonight to "mimic" the appy Holly loves from work.

Lettuce Wrap Recipe Ingredients

* 8 dried Shiitake mushrooms
* 2 teaspoons cooking sherry
* 2 teaspoons water
* 1 teaspoon soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
* 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
* 2 cloves minced garlic
* 2 chopped green onions
* 8 oz can bamboo shoots, chopped up
* 8 oz can water chestnuts, chopped
* 2 small dried chilies (optional)
* 1 package of Chinese cellophane rice noodles, cooked according to instructions on the package
* Iceberg lettuce leaves

Lettuce Wrap Sauce:

* 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
* 1 1/2 tablespoons water
* 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil

Pour enough boiling water over dried mushrooms to cover. Let soak for 30 minutes, then drain. After the mushrooms have soaked, remove any woody stems and chop up the mushrooms.

While waitng for the mushrooms to finish soaking, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce.

In a separate bowl, mix together the sherry, water, soy sauce, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and chicken. Stir together until chicken is well coated.

Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of oil. After the oil gets hots, add the chicken mixture. Fry quickly for about 3 minutes, or til chicken is no longer pink. Stir constantly to prevent burning. Remove chicken.

To the same skillet, add 2 more tablespoons of oil. Add the fresh ginger, garlic, green onions, and optional chilies, if desired. Fry quickly for 45-60 seconds, or til garlic is a golden color. Do not overcook garlic, or it will taste bitter. Add the dried mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Fry quickly for about 2 minutes.

Return chicken to the skillet. Add the sauce ingredients to the same skillet. Cook until the sauce thickens.

Break the cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces. Spread the noodles onto the bottom of a platter. Pour the chicken mixture on top of the noodles. Spoon into lettuce leafs. Roll up chicken lettuce wraps and secure with toothpicks

Give them a shot and see what you all think and let me know of course.

Did I mention we sell about 250 orders of these a day at work on an average day?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Lettuce Wraps by firechef (This is the recipe I...)
OK, you're killing me! AND I LOVE IT! YUMMMMY!

UH, this part is not clear?

Quote:

Break the cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces. Spread the noodles onto the bottom of a platter. Pour the chicken mixture on top of the noodles. Spoon into lettuce leafs. Roll up chicken lettuce wraps and secure with toothpicks

Oddly, there are only a few ingredients I don't have on hand...LOL! And I KNOW they have bamboo shoots and water chestnuts at the local store. Now a question....do you guys use fresh or canned like the rest of us?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lettuce Wraps by Gourmet_Mom (OK, you're killing m...)
Firechef,

I have eaten the famous lettuce wraps. Maybe you work at this famous chain??? I can't remember if the chicken filling is served on a bed of crispy rice sticks or not. Please help me out with this. I know the honey chicken is served on crispy fried rice sticks.(little thin ones that puff up when fried)

Thanks for your help!!!
  Re: Firechef by Barbarainnc (Firechef,[br][br]I h...)
No I work for a private "spin off" of the chain that is actually older than the chain you are thinking of.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Firechef by firechef (No I work for a priv...)
Is the famous chain PF Changs or Pei Wei? Or neither - LOL.
  Re: Re: Firechef by Trixxee (Is the famous chain ...)
I am sure the chain she is thinking of is PF Changs which is over by Jordan Creek Mall in West Des Moines. I work for a private venture with only one location near Valley West Mall down the road from Valley High School where Olympian Shawn Johnson goes to school.

As for the Lettuce Wraps we serve our filling mixed with the rice noodles while PF Chang's serves theirs on the rice noodles. It is one of the few dishes we share in common.