Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th
  Re: (...)
Sorry Sharon, anal that I am, I've been afraid your dinner recipes would get lost in the shuffle, so if you don't mind, I'm putting all togther and tried to correct those da-- garbly things that show up sometimes......

Turkey Pozole with lettuce, avocado, and radishes

time:30minutes

2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 cup onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, smashed
I corn tortilla, chopped (6")
3 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, torn
1 T. tomato paste
I t. chili powder
1/2 t. each ground cumin and dried oregano leaves
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 lb. ground turkey breast
1/2 t. each dried oregano leaves and ground cumin
Juice of 1/2 a lime
I can yellow hominy, drained, rinsed (14 oz.)
Salt to taste

Sweat tomatoes, onion, garlic, tortilla pieces, chiles, tomato paste, and spices in 2 T. oil in a large saute pan over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.

Transfer mixture to a blender, puree until smooth, then return soup base to pan and keep warm over low heat.

Saute turkey, oregano, and cumin in a nonstick skillet in I T. oil over mediumhigh heat 4-5 minutes, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon; stir in lime juice. Add turkey, hominy, and salt to soup base and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Garnish servings of pozole with queso fresco, cilantro, lettuce, avocado, radishes, and limes.

Cheddar corn mini muffins

Total time: 20 minutes

1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 t. each baking powder, baking soda, and salt
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg white
1 T. vegetable oil
1/4 cup Cheddar, shredded

Preheat oven to 375°; coat a minimuffin pan with nonstick spray. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Add cheese and wet ingredients to the dry, and whisk until combined. Scoop batter into 8 mini-muffin cups, place on a baking sheet, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Cool briefly.

Coconut Cream Fried Pies
Makes 12 pies
Total time: 30 minutes + chilling

HEAT
1 cup whole milk
1 cup coconut milk
WHISK TOGETHER:
1/2 cup cream of coconut
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 t. kosher salt
2 eggs
OFF HEAT, STIR IN.
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut, toasted
2 T. unsalted butter
1/2 t. vanilla extract
PREPARE, GARNISH FRIED PIES
1 recipe Fried Pie Dough, Page49
Melted chocolate
Toasted shredded coconut

Heat whole milk and coconut milk in a saucepan over medium until bubbles form around the edge. Remove pan from burner. Whisk cream of coconut, cornstarch, and salt together in a bowl. Add eggs, whisk until smooth, then gradually whisk in 1/2 of the hot milk. Pour the egg-milk mixture into the milk remaining in the pan and cook over medium heat until thick, whisking often. Boil filling for 1 minute to thicken and eliminate the starchy taste. Off heat, stir in coconut, butter, and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming; chill filling until cold. Prepare pie dough, then fill and fry as on Page 50. Drizzle pies with chocolate and sprinkle with toasted coconut.

FOR THE DOUGH

GRIND, WHISK TOGETHER:

1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 T. sugar
1 t. table salt
CUT IN, COMBINE AND BLEND.
I stick unsalted butter, cold, cubed (8 T.)
2 T. vegetable shortening, cold, cubed
2/3 cup cold water
1 egg, beaten
1 t. white vinegar

FRY IN:
Vegetable oil

Fried pie dough has to be sturdy enough to hold up in the hot oil, yet remain tender too. That's why you see some not﷓so﷓typical (NOTE: DON’T KNOW ABOUT THIS ONE) pie dough ingredients here, like an egg and ground almonds. They provide structure but won't make the dough tough like additional flour can.

Grind almonds in a food processor until fine, then whisk together with flour, sugar, and salt.

Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender until butter is pea size. Combine water, egg, and vinegar together in a measuring cup.

Pour egg mixture into the dough, blending with a fork until it holds together. Divide dough in half, shape into 2 disks, and wrap each in plastic. Chill at least 30 minutes before rolling and filling
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by cjs (Sorry Sharon, anal t...)
Thank you - being the scatterbrain that I am!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by Harborwitch (Thank you - being th...)
Bringing this back to the top. I figured it wouldn't hurt to remind those planning to participate, and I have a question...I seem to be full of them today!

I only saw white hominy at the store. I got it, but am unsure of whether to use it...I noted that the yellow is supposed to be sweeter. Would I be better off using sweet yellow corn ?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by Gourmet_Mom (Bringing this back t...)
No! Hominy and sweet corn are not substitutes for eachother.

From Wikipedia.... Hominy or nixtamal is dried maize (corn) kernels which have been treated with an alkali of some kind.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by HomeCulinarian (No! Hominy and swee...)
Okay, so go with the white hominy?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, so go with the...)
That's what I would do...
  Re: Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, so go with the...)
The white hominy should be fine. That's what we use when we can't get yellow.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by Harborwitch (The white hominy sho...)
Oh man, the 18th is Monday!! Out to dinner tonight, so I guess that's dinner Sunday or I'm going to be late! Shoot, I was thinking some of my (wonderful home smoked) Canadian bacon on a pizza......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by cjs (Oh man, the 18th is ...)
We've managed the pozole - but the muffins and fried pies are still to be done. It has been a miserable hot week - maybe the muffins for breakfast in the morning and maybe the pies tomorrow.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Dinner Review Menu - Aug. 18th by Harborwitch (We've managed the po...)
Where did I put that leftover dish for your dinner - Burritos with Pork and Pozole????? I can't find it now...

Sharon, I'm going to be late on this one - we are having one week of summer weather and I'm not going to miss one night of it. So, when the weather turns, I'll do this.
www.achefsjourney.com