Rösti Benedict
  Re: (...)
This recipe reminds me of a recipe I learned to make on "that other website." It is crispy and delicious:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rösti Benedict

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Eggs-Dairy-Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds potatoes (1 kg), preferably red skinned or yellow fleshed
1/2 teaspoon salt (2 ml)
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
1 large green onion -- thinly sliced
4 slices bacon
2 tablespoons canola oil (25 ml)
HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
1 cup salted butter (250 ml)
3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon milk (15 ml)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (15 ml)
1 pinch cayenne

6 large eggs
snippets of fresh chives

Cover potatoes with cold water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender when pierced. Drain; cover with cold water. Drain again; cool completely. (Potatoes can be cooked ahead, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.) Peel and coarsely shred. Gently toss with salt, pepper and green onions.

Cut bacon crosswise into 1/4-inch (5-mm) lardons. Heat a large frying pan, preferably cast-iron or nonstick, over medium heat. When hot, add bacon; sauté, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until browned and crisp. Remove bacon from pan to a paper towel; cool slightly and toss with potatoes. Leave about a tablespoon of fat in pan, discarding rest.

Add 1 Tbs (15 ml) oil to bacon fat; heat over medium heat until very hot. Add potatoes, spreading evenly. Reduce heat to medium-low, shape cake with a spatula, pressing down lightly on shreds for even top and sides. Sauté for 12 to 15 minutes or until underside is golden brown; loosen bottom with spatula.

Place a plate over the rösti in pan and flip so rösti is removed from pan, resting on the plate, golden-side up. Add remaining 1 Tbs (15 ml) oil to pan; when hot slide rösti from plate into pan leaving golden-side up. Reshape if needed. Sauté 12 to 15 minutes or until underside is golden brown. (While it will be somewhat heavier than fresh made, rösti can be made ahead; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat for 10 to 15 minutes in a preheated 425°F/220°C oven or until hot and crispy.)

To make hollandaise, heat butter until quite hot but not boiling. (Use a small saucepan over low heat or microwave in a 2-cup/500 ml measuring cup for 1 to 2 minutes.) Place egg yolks and milk in blender; whirl briefly. Then, while whirling at high speed, add half of hot butter in a steady stream. Mixture appears milky. Whirl in lemon juice and cayenne, then remaining butter in a steady stream. Sauce keeps well at room temperature for an hour or more.

Over medium-low heat, break eggs into a frying pan lightly coated with nonstick spray. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until set, sunny-side up or turning briefly for over-easy eggs. Meanwhile cut rösti into 6 wedges; place on warmed serving plates. Top with an egg, a generous drizzle of hollandaise and a few snippets of chive. Serve right away with whole-wheat toast and fresh fruit such as melon, grapefruit and strawberries.

TIP: Any remaining hollandaise can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week. Spread like butter over hot vegetables such as cauliflower or broccoli.

Source:
"Food & Drink Spring 2008"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Rösti Benedict by bjcotton (This recipe reminds ...)
I can hear my arteries harden just looking at it! Copied and saved. I was so disappointed in last year's Christmas Eve potato side, I'll have to give this one a test for a potential replacement! Thanks Billy!

Also, you have experience with your Coffee Toffee Crunch, so you may want to chime in on Chef_Tab's Coconut Crisp thread search. You'd know better if coconut could be used in that for a coconut garnish for ice cream.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Rösti Benedict by bjcotton (This recipe reminds ...)
There is a resto is Montreal that serves breakfast all day, one of my favourite places to go. You can get the Eggs Benedict (many different varieties) on regular muffins, etc, or on rosti. We always order them. It's a great combination. Thanks for posting.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Rösti Benedict by Lorraine (There is a resto is ...)
I LOVE THIS RECIPE BILLY!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Rösti Benedict by firechef (I LOVE THIS RECIPE B...)
Well, Mr. BillyJ!!! congratulations, now you have mastered Hollandaise sauce also!

I've never had eggs benedict over a rosti - sounds delicious. I make an old Emeril benedict with tasso ham recipe that I'll have to try this way.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rösti Benedict by cjs ( Well, Mr. BillyJ!!!...)
I much prefer it over the rosti. I think I may have had it at Chef Flo's also, but can't quite remember.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Rösti Benedict by Lorraine (I much prefer it ove...)
I just know Billy posted this 'cause he knows Bob and I aren't eating potatoes. Stinker!

It sounds luscious though! May just have to justify the potatoes.... and soon.

My absolute fave Benedict was served on crab cakes! Heaven on a plate. Bob said my eyes rolled back in my head when I took my first bite.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!