Oh My, Was This Fun!!!
  Re: (...)
Caviar, Caviar, Caviar - It was a tough job, but it had to be done!

We started off the dinner with deviled eggs - topped, of course with ---
[Image: deviledegg.jpg]

moved on to - some scallops
[Image: scallops.jpg]

and then - salmon cakes topped with ----
[Image: salmoncake.jpg]
Also topped with Ina Garten's Caviar Dip - this is delicious!

* Exported from MasterCook *

CAVIAR DIP - INA GARTEN

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly minced dill, plus sprigs for garnish
1 scallion, minced (white and green parts)
1 tablespoon milk, half-and-half, or cream
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
100 grams good salmon roe

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese until smooth. With the mixer on medium speed, add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, scallion, milk, salt, and pepper. With a rubber spatula, fold in 3/4 of the salmon roe. Spoon the dip into a bowl and garnish with the remaining salmon roe and sprigs of fresh dill.
Serve with chips, toasts, or crackers.

And after all that, we had some of the dip left, so we stuffed ourselves a tad more.....oh groan.

[Image: lastbite.jpg]

What a fun dinner - We started with an inexpensive bottle of Domaine Ste. Michelle Blanc de Noire sparkling, but also opened ( ) was a bottle of Oak Ridge (CA) '04 Cab and it was surprisingly good with all.

Tonight it's back to reality and chicken livers that I hope are still good - for some Chicken Liver stroganoff
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Oh My, Was This Fun!!! by cjs (Caviar, Caviar, Cavi...)
From caviar to chicken livers...now that's funny!

What a pretty dinner!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Oh My, Was This Fun!!! by Gourmet_Mom (From caviar to chick...)
Jean, those black dishes are gorgeous! The food looks great too, don't get me wrong. It must be tough to live like that from your freezer.

And Daphne, are you nuts? You should NOT be looking at food today!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Oh My, Was This Fun!!! by chef_Tab (Jean, those black di...)
Just so I understand . . . the caviar was in the freezer and had to be used up?!!? Much higher class freezer than what I have, LOL!
  Re: Re: Oh My, Was This Fun!!! by iBcookin (Just so I understand...)
No, in the pantry tho. Roy got on a 'kick' a while back and has stockpiled 3 jars (just mid priced, not the real good stuff! ) of caviar, so I get to do this again soon!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oh My, Was This Fun!!! by iBcookin (Just so I understand...)
Very nice...love caviar! Don't get it often, I am firing the grill for smoking sausages this afternoon and then boiling water for some freshly picked (walked the field this morning) sweet corn (prepared the only way Holly likes it) and maybe a cold pasta salad...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Oh My, Was This Fun!!! by firechef (Very nice...love cav...)
Beautiful presentations, Jean. Too bad I don't care for caviar. It must be an acquired taste and I haven't tried to acquire it.
Rub it in --Rub it in!!!
You deserved to be force fed chicken livers after that--I know, how about a "who can eat the most chicken livers in 1 minute" contest??!! Sounds good doesn't it!?

Seriously we buy "Hansen Norge" caviar at World Market very reasonably. It's a black, lumpfish caviar from Iceland --next best thing to , to, that stuff I can't afford anymore.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Oh My, Was This Fun!!! by Old Bay (Rub it in --Rub it i...)
Bill thanks for the hint on World Market. We've found some lovely caviar from Tsar Nicolai - it's California Sturgeon (and they have other fish roe - my favorite being the Whitefish wasabi caviar!) that are really reasonably priced - but the shipping is the killer and it's a trip to San Francisco to get it. We'll check our local World Markets!

Jean that all looks so good! My goodness what an amazing dinner. My pantry certainly isn't that well stocked!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Oh, dear Lord, that looks wonderfully delicious!!! We treat ourselves every now and then