Aaron? AARON???????
  Re: (...)
I could not believe Aaron won the Food Network Next chef!! It would have been interesting to see all this live and see what it was about him that didn't really come thru the tv.

Nice guy, but geez, he WAS like 'a deer in headlights' most of the episodes....Anxious to see his show.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by cjs (I could not believe ...)
I was surprised he won - I agree about the "deer"
  Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by cjs (I could not believe ...)
I usually don't even watch this show, but ended up watching the final episode the other night. I think I saw one other episode in this round. I think they picked Aaron over the other two because his food was not typical. The other guy was a server - did he even have culinary credentials? I think the girl lost because of her theme in a box presentations. The producer was annoyed with her.
  Re: Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by HomeCulinarian (I usually don't even...)
Lol I think it's because when Lisa smiled her eyes disappeared She was the most knowledgable of all of them. Adam was a goofball and when Aaron relaxed he did ok and you could see him enjoying himself.

Interesting to note...the last winner..Amy...her show aired I think one episode and disappeared. Guy has done alright for himself. And the 2 guys "The Hearty Boys" aired their 14 episodes and disappeared.

Also if you notice this was the first season that we the viewers did not pick the winner. There was no voting by us. They decided who won. I wonder if it's because pretty much all of the ones that were picked couldn't go the distance.
  Re: Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by DFen911 (Lol I think it's bec...)
I know....YS picked him, but that's only because he only saw him in the final episode, and then only his promo.

I really thought Lisa would win, but she did have some negative moments. I don't think her show would make it, though. While Aaron's show idea is more like what the network is airing now...Note the Neely's.

If Adam had gone with the smoking concept, I think he would have won. The internet idea was pretty good, but too far off from what he was good at. I also noted this weekend that there is a new show called the "Food Detectives with Ted Allen". The concept is that he takes viewer questions (read emails) and investigates. Here's the rundown on the one I saw: "Can I really eat something off the floor if I pick it up in less than 5 seconds? How do I stop my mouth from burning after I've eaten spicy food? Is the baking soda in my fridge doing anything? Ted Allen and his culinary sleuths set out to prove the answers to these questions, once and for all!" There is a STRONG link to Popular Science as well. Good way to get kids to watch!

If you saw the finale, you should see a very strong connection to Adam's concept. HMMMMM?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by DFen911 (Lol I think it's bec...)
I think you're right Denise - what we see of them and their talent is probably really skewered! Would love to be a judge throughout the entire process.

Adam has the credentials - he had a restaurant, but it failed and he is now a server, he's paid his dues.

Lisa I think came the farthest of any of them - whatever she was critiqued on, she really made the effort to overcome.

Aaron...I'll reserve judgement until next week when his show starts.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by cjs (I think you're right...)
Well Ted's show has been in the work for the last 7 months. There is also another new comer Aida with Ask Aida. Same type of premise. I find it interesting they'd do 2 shows along the same lines. Granted Ted's show is more about "food myths".

But once again the shows are not instruction shows. Most of their shows are food talk shows. Oh Julia....how I miss thee.
  Re: Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by DFen911 (Well Ted's show has ...)
"Oh Julia....how I miss thee." Oh me too, Denise!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by cjs ("Oh Julia....how I m...)
Quote:

Ditto! My grandmother would be appalled by the food shows that broadcast today! I'm sure she wouldn't watch a one of them. We would watch Julia together when I was at her house. Then we would go to the kitchen and cook together.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Aaron? AARON??????? by cjs ("Oh Julia....how I m...)
Quote:

Me too, and where is Pepin, Pierre Franey, a moral Jeff Smith, I like learning--not "30 min. meals". The girl had by far the most cooking ability, I'm afraid they didn't think her personality could carry a show. Sara M. was a better chef than her and was more comfortable on camera--it didn't save her. I'm glad she is on PBS.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".