The elusive paprika schnitzel
  Re: (...)
I tried a recipe for paprika schnizel that sounded closest to my memories of the dish. I did make some adjustments. It was very good (like I actually forgot my manners and tried to get every last bit of the sauce with my fingers) but it wasn't "right". I am not very good at the "what is missing from this recipe" game. Is it possible to cook paprika too long? The recipe dictates that you heat fat, add paprika. Then add sliced onions and cook. Then you add the pork cutlet to brown on both sides. All this while, the paprika is, of course, still in the pan. Then you are supposed to add sour cream, but I was fairly sure this wasn't the version I sought. I added a bit of chicken broth and a tablespoon of sourcream to thicken. Like I said, it was delicious, but not what I had hoped for. There just seemed to be a brightness missing from the paprika. Then again, maybe my memories have been skewed over time. I will try this again, adding the paprika later to see if I get any closer.
Theresa
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by chef_Tab (I tried a recipe for...)
First, I would guess that the quality and freshness of the paprika would be important here. Next, I agree that adding the paprika BEFORE the onions seems a little odd, but I know NOTHING about German dishes, sooooo...

Hopefully, one of the more knowledgeable members will be along soon. Labs, Jean, and Sharon have done quite a bit of ethnic cooking, as well as LJ, but he is not able to be here often due to work.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by Gourmet_Mom (First, I would guess...)
Tabs, I would suggest when you try it next time, you might add paprika at the beginning as it calls for, then adding more towards the end of cooking. Adding it at the start builds up a nice flavor.

This adding of seasoning is really a good habit to get into with any cooking - little seasoning throughout the cooking time rather then all at the beginning or end.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by cjs (Tabs, I would sugges...)
Although it IS possible to overcook the paprika, adding it before the onions seems to be fairly typical for this type of recipe, and is the way it works in the Chicken Paprikas recipe I use.

I'll keep on looking for something closer to what you recall.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by labradors (Although it IS possi...)
Tab,

Just started playing a game of Go against someone in Germany, so I asked him about the recipe. He said that his wife is out of town right now, but will be back in a few days, and that he's pretty sure she knows this dish, and will have a recipe. Of course, I'll post the recipe here as soon as I get it, if I get it. We'll see.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by labradors (Tab,[br][br]Just sta...)
How kind of you to think of me! I STILL have not been accepted to the German cooking forum! My husband thinks I should have written my request in German. I can't believe that is what is holding up the process. Thank you so much for helping me. It has now become an obsession.
Theresa

Re: Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by chef_Tab (How kind of you to t...)
With this group Tab, a challenge is what we all love!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by chef_Tab (How kind of you to t...)
You know that there are sharp and half sharp Hungarian paprika in addition to the sweet. (Not to mention Spanish smoked). The half sharp would be "brighter".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by Old Bay (You know that there ...)
This I did not know! I have only seen "regular" and "hot". I will have to do some online research. The stores here are extremely limited. Lots of beef, pork, and BBQ sauce. Thanks for the tip!
Theresa

Re: Re: The elusive paprika schnitzel by chef_Tab (This I did not know!...)
Just to update, I was finally accepted to the German cooking forum. There isn't even a post every day! I did get three different recipes for my paprika schnitzel and while they all sound good, only one seems to be what I was looking for. I may have been on to something when I thought my problem was over cooked paprika. All 3 of the recipes have you add it after cooking the meat. The one I want to try is actually in German, so I will have to take some time to traslate it. I do speak the language, but am quite rusty and there were a few ingredients I wasn't so sure about.
Theresa