Catfish Piccata
  Re: (...)
What a wonderful dish this was - nice change from chicken piccata. And I'm sure any fish (think I'll try salmon next time) would work.

Catfish piccata
Serves 2

2 catfish filets, 4-6 oz. each
S & P to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 T. vege oil
------
Sauce:
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 T. butter
2 T. white wine
1 T. parsley, minced
1 T. capers, rinsed (I don't rinsed them)
lemon slices

Rinse catfish and pat dry with paper towels.
Season filets on both sides with S & P. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Heat oil in heavy skilet over medium heat.
Add catfish and saute for 2-4 min. on each side, turning once.
Cook to an internal temperature of 140 F. or when the fish is no longer translucent at the thickest part (when it just begins to flake.
Remove fish to a warm serving platter.

For the sauce, stir lemon juice and minced garlic into drippings.
Add butter; stir for 1-2 minutes.

Add wine, parsley, and capers and continue to stir 2-3 minutes longer.

Spoon lemon-butter-wine sauce over fish and serve.Grnish with lemon slices.
-----
This was surprisingly very good with a Cab/Merlot blend.
And Mr. Roy got his risotto...finally!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Catfish Piccata by cjs (What a wonderful dis...)
That would be great with basa, but salmon is so strong, it would probably overcome the delicateness of piccata.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Catfish Piccata by labradors (That would be great ...)
Thanks for the idea, Jean. This sounds delightful, and better yet, quite healthy. This may be the recipe that gets me to finally give the basa a try.

Theresa
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Catfish Piccata by chef_Tab (Thanks for the idea,...)
could be, but I do love lemon,capers, etc. with salmon, so I'll give it a go
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Catfish Piccata by cjs (could be, but I do l...)
I think it'll work. Have I ever told about the Emeril recipe with the lemon and onions? YUM!

It's really simple. You thinly slice a large onion and a couple of lemons. Drizzle OO in the bottom of your pan and make a bed of onions. Season salmon with S&P. Lay salmon on top of onions, then make a "lid" with the lemon slices. The sauce is just plain yogurt seasoned with lemon juice, S&P, and dill. That's how I finally got the kids to try salmon. Now they'll eat it any way I cook it...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Catfish Piccata by Gourmet_Mom (I think it'll work. ...)
That does sound good - I've have one that I cook the salmon on a bed of asparagus spears....haven't done that one forever.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Catfish Piccata by cjs (That does sound good...)
Bob's not crazy about salmon - he likes most white fish and sturgeon. I love it, but I won't buy the farm raised. I want my salmon wild caught.

I can just taste the piccata though - love it. Jennifer did such a lovely lemon beurre blanc the other night. She's not crazy about capers - oh poo!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Catfish Piccata by Harborwitch (Bob's not crazy abou...)
Wow, anon was looking at this one - I had completely forgotten about it. Time for a repeat!!

Just checked, I hadn't entered this one in MasterCook - I would never have seen it again.....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Catfish Piccata by cjs (Wow, anon was lookin...)
Oh, wow! I never tried this and piccata is one of my favorites! But as I mentioned in the dinner thread, no catfish. I'll have to check the grocery store!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Catfish Piccata by cjs (What a wonderful dis...)
Thanks for bringing this up, I wonder if I can get him to eat catfish? Maybe if I didn't tell him what it was.....
PJ