Liptauer and Quark
  Re: (...)
The talk of quark on the cheesecake thread got me to thinking about a discussion I'm sure we had a while back (or on c2c longer ago???) on making quark at home - Marina??
Anyway, I came across this in my search on MasterCook looking for the directions - looks like something to play with.

I don't even remember the website I mentioned this is from...darn CRS

-----
NOTES : Liptauer is a traditional Austro-Hungarian dish that varies from cook to cook and region to region. essentially a tangy, full-flavored cheese spread made with a combination of cheeses, including goat cheese and Quark.

Liptauer
Serving Size : 8

Spread
1 cup Quark cheese
1/2 cup goat cheese
1/2 cup ricotta salata -- finely grated
1 shallot -- minced
1/2 garlic clove -- mashed to a paste
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped cornichons
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped capers
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
For Serving
Sliced prosciutto (optional)
Finely chopped chives (optional)
Finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1 Whole capers (optional)
Sweet Hungarian paprika (optional)
Sliced Bread -- preferably wheat, pumpernickel or rye

Combine all the ingredients for the spread in a bowl and stir together with a wooden spoon until smooth; or use a food processor, pulsing until just combined.

2. Mound the Liptauer on a platter and, if desired, surround it with prosciutto and additiona chives, parsley, capers, and paprika. Serve with the bread.

Note from Barbara-Jo's: The cheeses for this recipe are available from fine cheesemongers such as Les Amis du Fromage. If your cheesemonger does not have one or more of the cheeses, he/she should be able to suggest substitutes.

This is an unusual, easy recipe which can be made in advance, keeps well, and is wonderful for entertaining.

"http://www.bookstocooks.com/page128.htm"

----

O.K., just went back to some really old c2c threads and here's what I found - I knew this was something I wanted to make and I forgot about it...

Quark –

German Cottage Cheese - Quark
by ruthiecat on Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:54 pm
German Cottage Cheese (Quark)

Before going to bed pour a half gallon buttermilk into an oven proof dish and put the lid on. Then place it in the oven and set the oven temperature on 150 degrees Fahrenheit, (NOT HIGHER). By morning you?ll see that the whey has separated. Take a piece of linen a 20x20-inches square and place it in a colander. Carefully pour the curdled mixture into it. Grab the four corners and tie them together and let it drain into the sink or in a bowl for about 5-7 hours.
When drained put the dry Quark into a food processor and either some milk, half and half, or heavy cream until it reaches the desired consistency.

Note: I make mine in a Roaster Oven because I can't set my regular oven on such low temperature.

For a more tangy Quark version you could just drain several non-fat yogurts over night. But the one above taste much better.

-----
SilverCliff –
I haven't tried this recipe but it was posted on a German cooking club I am in. It was verified there by several members. Amanda requested that I post it, so here it is.

Now that you have it you can give me recipes on HOW to use it. Amanda says it makes the best cheese cake. The folks at the German club say it is like Pot Cheese. I guess you could use it as a Pierogi filling. So now it is your turn.

By the way this was posted by a gal named Tanja who is in the German cooking club at Yahoo.

Recipe Name: Quark

Category: Dairy & Cheese

Preparation Time:

Servings:

Ingredients:
Quark:

Ingredients:
1 gallon of milk
1 pkg of setmilk or 1 quart of buttermilk (or less, if you want a
sweeter tasting quark)
1/4 cup of water (cold)
1/4 tablet of Junket Rennet

Directions:
Quark is basically a pureed cottage cheese minus the addition of salt.
(commercial cottage cheese has a lot of salt). But you weren't far off thinking about Creme fraiche. Creme fraiche goes through the same process.
But you add buttermilk to cream and then let it sit at room temp until thickend. Quark is made with milk and buttermilk or setmilk culture. So lower in fat. We Germans use it for everything, including in my opinion the best cheese cake.
If you do not want to make your own Quark, you can use cottage cheese (drained and pureed) to try a German cheesecake. I can send you a recipe if you are interested.

Directions:
if you use the setmilk, heat the milk to 88 F and add set milk starter, let sit at room temp overnight if you use the buttermilk, pour milk and buttermilk into a big pot and let stand overnight next morning: disolve the 1/4 of the junket rennet tablet in the 1/4 cup of water stir the water with disolved junket rennet tablet into the milk/buttermilk combination and let stand until the milk sets (8-12 hours)
line a large colander (sieve) with a cheese cloth
spoon the set milk into this and let the whey run out into some container this takes about 8 - 20 hours as well.
That's all, a long process but not much work.

By the way if you have access to raw milk you don't need to all of these steps, just pour the raw milk in a container and let sit at room temp until milk sets. My great grandmother was from Hungary and I remember her making Quark exactly like this..... I also remember when I was a kid, that she complained at one point that milk doesn't go bad in a good way anymore.....
well that was exactly when the Germans started pasteurizing milk. I live close to Amish people and they are the only people I know of that would be willing to sell you raw milk. We use it a lot as we also make hard cheeses.

I like the flavor of the Quark better when using setmilk. Buttermilk gives it a more buttermilky taste.

In case you wonder: Junket rennet is sold in local supermarkets . My local Kroger store carries it, if they don't have it they might be able to order it for you. It's not crucial for making Quark but you get a better yield and a better curd that way.

Setmilk I ordered online. One package was 1dollar and it sort of is like a mother culture. One package makes one liter of setmilk. I take the liter and freeze it in icecube trays and then I add three icecubes to a gallon of milk.

Here is a link to the place where I purchased the setmilk http://www.danlac.com/store/default.asp?category=3

&product_id=70

The guy is a sweetheart. Very knowledgeable about making cheese and
always willing to help.

-----

probably more than anyone wanted to know about 'quark,' but there you go!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Liptauer and Quark by cjs (The talk of quark on...)
Neat information...ah SilverCliff...talk about a nice guy. That is an understatement! Here from him at all?

Kind of neat how all of these things can go together and make a dish...talk about playing with your food. Just think of the looks the FIRST person to come up with this got when it was presented to the family for a meal???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Liptauer and Quark by firechef (Neat information...a...)
every once in a while - they're doing fine. Billy hears from him quite often, I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Liptauer and Quark by cjs (every once in a whil...)
Yes, I talk to him and Old What's Her Name (Bonnie) frequently. I really enjoy hearing what's up in the NORTH country. Those two continue to amaze me. A couple of years ago he got her a new hunting rifle and this year a new fishing pole. He said she wants a new canoe maybe next year. They eat everything they kill, cut their own firewood, smoke their own meats, etc. Their closest grocery is a small market 45 minutes away. Talk about the boonies!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Liptauer and Quark by bjcotton (Yes, I talk to him a...)
AWWW! I remember SilverCliff! He made some really unusual stuff...talk about sustainable living!

I remember seeing this thread. I knew when Sophia mentioned quark, it rang a bell!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Liptauer and Quark by Gourmet_Mom (AWWW! I remember Si...)
Hmmmm... Which flavour of quark cheese? Up, down, charm, strange, top, or bottom? Is there also a neutrino cheese? I guess it all comes down to a study of string-cheese theory.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Liptauer and Quark by cjs (The talk of quark on...)
Would Master Cook or Silvercliff have a recipe for Paprika Schnitzel? It is the other favorite of mine that my mom used to make. I asked the local German restaurant here for the recipe and they said it was a secret. I have found a few through google, but none of the websights were ones I have used.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Liptauer and Quark by chef_Tab (Would Master Cook or...)
Thanks for the update on Dennis and Bonnie...they are a true class act in a world of classless folks. I remember them fondly...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Liptauer and Quark by chef_Tab (Would Master Cook or...)
Quote:

Would Master Cook or Silvercliff have a recipe for Paprika Schnitzel?

Tab,

Do you remember what else (generally) was in that? A Hungarian cookbook I have has as recipe for Paprikas Szelet, or "Pork Cutlets with Potatoes," that uses paprika, caraway seeds, garlic, green peppers, and tomatoes. Many of the Eastern-European recipes are very similar, so maybe that's close. I'd be glad to type it in, if you like.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Liptauer and Quark by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Labs,
I am pretty sure there were no vegetables in the dish. Definitely, no tomatoes. A few onions perhaps. Mind you, I was a child last I had this dish. My best recollection is a breaded pork cutlet in a sauce of almost nothing but paprika. I love paprika. I add it to so many things I make. I "applied" to a German cooking forum, and am hoping I can get a recipe once "accepted"! Another idea I have is to attend Oktoberfest here and ask any old woman I meet that has a German accent. Thanks so much for your help. I am overwhelmed by everyone's kindness. I wish we all lived in the same town!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!