Helping Sophia
  Re: (...)
I decided to start a new thread for you. That way, if you have further questions, you can ask them here. I'm not the BEST one to give direction, but I'll try.

Reading threads:
-Go to "My Home" (This is in the banner at the top of the forum along with the "Search" tool.)
-At the bottom of your "Home" window is a "Main Configuration" box. You want to choose the "Edit" option to the right of "Display Preferences".
-A new window will open and you want to scroll down to "Default mode".
-You want to change this from threaded to flat.
-Feel free to make any other changes here, then click the "Submit" button.

Now you will see the whole thread when you click on one. You can do this at the top of each thread(At the top right of each thread you will see either threaded or flat. Clicking this will toggle it back and forth between the two modes.), but it's easier to have them come up that way automatically.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Helping Sophia by Gourmet_Mom (I decided to start a...)
I posted this already, but will add it here. Good Idea Daphne - to pull it out of the other thread...

Welcome Sophia,

The search forum is a bit of a bear. It helps if you use quotations around your search "Salisbury Steak" .

There are recipes in what is called the Members Plus site. Only some people have access to that site. And before you ask - no you can't get access. They were going to offer it as an additional membership, but dropped that project. It has not been updated with the last two years of recipes. If you ask, one of the members who have access are usually willing to post the recipe for you if it is on the site.

Other than that - recipes are just buried in posts, and yes, often you have to read through a list of posts on a topic to find the recipes. There have been a lot of great recipies shared on this site - both from [Email]C@H[/Email] and others.

Hope you join in. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't so hard.

AND...

You can't give yourself a name other than your user name - your title comes with the numbers of posts you have. I am an older member, but not a very frequent poster, and I have no title - probably never will...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Searching: (There are archives, but only those with Member Plus can access them. If there is a recipe you know of from an older issue, they can post it for you. I would search the site before asking though.)

-Choose the "Search" tool from the top banner.
-Type in a word that you want to find out more about. I use only ONE key word to limit my search. A good one for new people would be "Review". This will bring up lots of recipes that have been reviewed here.
-Type in a "username" if you know someone discussed this topic. OR you can leave this box empty.
-I choose 2 Years in the "Newer than" boxes, at first, and leave the "Older than" boxes empty.
-Click "Submit".
-To access years earlier than 2006, increase the "Newer than" box to 4, 5, or 6 years. But be sure to adjust "Older than" boxes to 2, 3, or 4 Years so that the time span is only 2 years.

Hope this all makes sense! Feel free to ask for help any time. This is a GREAT group of people and they are always happy to help out.

One member, Labradors, has even created a website where he has indexed all recipe titles from Cuisine at Home: www.cookingtheworld.com. If you are interested in a particular ingredient or need to know what issue a particular recipe is located in, this is a GREAT way to search. He is still working on putting in recipes, but you can at least see the recipe titles from all issues over the years.
Daphne
Sophia,
First of all, welcome! I am new as well and have had my fair share of confusion. Everyone here is so kind and helpful. Just keep at it, I seem to learn something new daily. It really does get easier. The recipes are fabulous and the other members are just amazingly friendly. So glad you joined us!

Tabs
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Helping Sophia by Gourmet_Mom (Searching: (There ar...)
Quote:

You can't give yourself a name other than your user name - your title comes with the numbers of posts you have. I am an older member, but not a very frequent poster, and I have no title - probably never will...

AWWW, Erin! No title just means you've been around here longer than most of us, thus much wiser. You know Roxanne gave herself one...LOL! Unofficially, of course.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Helping Sophia by esgunn (I posted this alread...)
Erin,
No worries my friend, I don't have a title either!!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Helping Sophia by mlucas1 (Erin,[br]No worries ...)
Hey, who's the oldest member...active at least? Anybody know? Right now it looks like it may be you, Meg.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Helping Sophia by mlucas1 (Erin,[br]No worries ...)
Thanks, all. So much help and I've already got an open thread that shows all the posts. That alone is a big help!

I'm going to print out the helps and use them!

It is true that you are a friendly and informed group; so glad to be here.
  Re: Re: Helping Sophia by sophia (Thanks, all. So muc...)
A couple points about searching...if you didn't know:

There is this annoying little "glitch" with using the search...you can't do two searches in a row. I just go to Who's Online and Main Index, then try to search again. If somebody has a solution for that one, I'd LOVE to know how you get around it.

On the other hand, "somebody", pointed out a while back, that if you have the scroll "thingy" on your mouse, you can point and click that on a thread and it will open the thread in a separate window without having to use "shift/click".
Daphne
  Re: Re: Helping Sophia by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, who's the oldes...)
It's Cis - Fanfarm since 3/03
Then
Shirley/smschwag 4/03
Meg - 9/03
Me 01/04
Roxanne 9/04

This is just users who I know have been active. And it is by oldest registered "active" user - not the amount of posts.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.