I Can Get Myself In More Trouble.....
  Re: (...)
After putting the coconut cupcakes in the oven, found I had over half a can of cocount milk left...what to do, what to do...so now there is a batch of Dinner buns with coconut milk rising....darn, I just know I won't be able to stay out of them!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dinner Buns With Coconut Milk

Recipe By :Rhonda Parkinson,

1 teaspoon sugar -- (5 ml)
1/2 cup warm water -- (125 ml)
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup canned coconut milk -- (125 ml)
mixed with 1/2 cup (125 ml) regular milk
1/4 cup butter -- (50 ml) margarine or shortening
3 tablespoons sugar -- (45 ml)
2 teaspoons salt -- (10 ml)
1/2 cup warm water -- (125 ml)
5 cups blended bread flour -- (5 to 6)

Dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water. Sprinkle in the package of yeast. Let it stand for 10 minutes and then stir.

Heat the milk to lukewarm, stirring. Add in the butter, 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 cup warm water.

Add the heated milk mixture and 2 cups flour to the dissolved yeast mixture. Beat until the mixture is smooth and elastic (I find a whisk works quite well).

Gradually stir in the remaining 3 cups of flour, adding a bit more flour of necessary.

The dough should be soft and easily leave the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and round it up into a ball.

Knead the dough until it is smooth, elastic and not sticky. Again, add a bit more flour if necessary.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Turn the dough so that the top is greased as well. Cover with greased wax paper and a tea towel.

Let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Punch down to let the air out of the dough. Turn it out onto a lightly floured board. Use a wetted knife to cut the dough in half, and then each half into thirds, and thirds again. This gives 18 buns.

Shape the buns into balls and place on a lightly greased surface. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes.

After removing the buns, use a pastry brush to lightly coat them with butter. Cool.

Description:
"Canned coconut milk adds a rich body to these traditional dinner buns."
S(Internet Address):
"http://chinesefood.about.com/od/coconuts/r/dinnerbuns.htm?nl=1"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by cjs (After putting the co...)
OH BOTHER! And to think I used to NEVER have bread with dinner...LOL! You know you'll have to taste and let us know. Copied and saved.

BTW, which cupcakes did you finally decide on, or have I missed that? I want to go back and copy the one somebody posted that pureed the coconut, since I'm not a big fan of the texture.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by Gourmet_Mom (OH BOTHER! And to t...)
Throw the recipe away, Daphne!!!! (they are so delicious! )

I made the cupcakes from C@H, Issue 50 - with the white chocolate cream cheese frosting. Haven't tasted them yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by cjs (Throw the recipe awa...)
Quote:

Throw the recipe away, Daphne!!!! (they are so delicious! )

You're kidding, right. I just happen to have a can of milk in the pantry from where I never got around to the coconut pork chop review. Shall I double the batch and freeze half? No sense in wasting the coconut milk.

I'm scared to go look for a recipe to use it in....And NO I CAN NOT make the cupcakes this week. I'm trying out that NY Cheesecake recipe Thursday.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
I just picked up the coconut today to make the cake. Hadn't been out anywhere for most of the week/weekend.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by bjcotton (I just picked up the...)
It was a warning, Daphne - the rolls are delicious.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by cjs (It was a warning, Da...)
Try making Sweet sticky rice. This recipe is the most simple and the best out of all of them that I tried.

P.S if you only have half a can just skip the sauce part of the recipe ..i have done that many times.

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/sweet_sticky_...th_mangoes
  Re: Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by piano226 (Try making Sweet sti...)
Thanks for the site and the sticky rice recipe "piano". I may have to make this...looks really good. But to be honest, I was just teasing Jean about the recipe. Although, against firm warning, I'm still going to make these...LOL!

Jean, do you think the recipe would convert to "loaf" bread? Would I want to? I REALLY want to try out my NEW silicon bread pans! But I NEED to make bread for sammies. Looks like I have a lot of baking in my future. Luckily, it's supposed to be cooler, low to upper 80's for the next few days.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the site ...)
Daphne, I think these would make a great loaf and especially lend well to slicing for sandwiches - it's a rather coarse, but at the same time soft (you figure out what I'm trying to say ) texture.

I make sticky rice quite often, Marina, will check your suggestion out. The can has been used and won't be working with it again for quite a while, I'm sure.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Can Get Myself In More Trouble..... by cjs (Daphne, I think thes...)
Jean, do I understand these only rise once? I'm gonna let the loaves rise twice. I don't think it'll hurt. If I'm not mistaken, the popcorn bread rises twice. Maybe since it's rolls...Seems like you guys said you didn't let your popcorn rolls/buns rise after shaping.
Daphne