New fish! Well, at least for us!
  Re: (...)
We've decided that while on this better eating kick we are going to have fish at least 2x a week. Last week we tried "dory" from New Zealand - it was mild flavored and quite good.

Last night we tried Basa fillets. I poked around the internet getting as much information as I could on Basa. It's a farm raised Vietnamese Catfish. There was a lot of controversy about it - depending on where you looked. The association for American catfish farmers are all up in arms and making claims about the fish farms in Vietnam - and American inspectors and fans of the fish are on the other side of the fence.

When we bought the fillets (5.99 per lb.) the were frozen. Last night we ate them. Impressions: The meat is very white with a delicate pink tinge, absolutely boneless, and not a trace of a "fish smell". We seasoned up some flour, eggs, and panko with salt, pepper, and some cajun seasoning and dredged the fish and fried it in peanut oil. The fillets were firm, I cut them into portion sizes with a pair of scissors (boy did that work well) and they were really easy to work with.

Taste: Oh my - this fish is so sweet and yummmmmmmy. I am hooked! This is great eating fish - we had a simple buerre blanc as the sauce. If you see Basa in your stores give it a try! I'm thinking this would make incredible fish tacos with a lovely wasabi avocado cream. I may go have leftovers for breakfast!

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by Harborwitch (We've decided that w...)
First garlic scapes, now Basa! And I thought I was pretty well versed on fish. Sounds good though. We also like John Dory. We like it pan fried with a chile lime cilantro butter.

I'll keep an eye out for Basa.
  Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by Harborwitch (We've decided that w...)
I have seen the basa fish a lot in our local store and have been hesitant. I am a New Englander stuck as far from oceans as one can get. The seafood here normally "just doesn't taste right". I must give the basa a try now. I would love to have the recipe for the wasabi avacado cream. I LOVE wasabi.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by chef_Tab (I have seen the basa...)
I think I'd just use the Avocado cream from the Shrimp Sushi Parfait - one avocado, 2 or 3 tbs sour cream, and some lime juice & salt. Then I'd add wasabi until I got the taste I wanted. (Hey Jean, Billy and I found a place where you can buy wasabi powder in 1lb bags!!!)

Next time I might even try mixing some crushed wasabi peas with the panko.
  Re: Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by Harborwitch (I think I'd just use...)
I have GOT to get mine (wasabi powder) out and play with it this week since I'm having seafood. Sharon, would you add the wasabi to half the cream for the sushi parfait...you know, for one of the cream layers? I'm making this later this week.

Regarding the Basa, I'll have to check tomorrow in "the city". But I've got a question...if I can get fresh catfish, would I WANT to get the Basa? I mean, is it that much better than fresh local catfish? (Although this time of year, it's a lot harder to get enough for dinner than when the trot line is out in winter.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by Gourmet_Mom (I have GOT to get mi...)
Daphne I think I would - Bob and I talked about that on the Sushi Parfait too. I love wasabi - and think it would be a perfect kick for the shrimp. We also made them one night with just diced avocado. That was really good too.

I like catfish a lot - and since it's almost 50.00 a person for a fishing license we are fishing this year. I was so impressed by how clean and beautiful the Basa was flavor wise and appearance wise. Yummy stuff. We've tried the farm raised catfish - they just didn't seem to be as carefully filleted and as clean and sweet tasting. JMHO
  Re: Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by Harborwitch (Daphne I think I wou...)
I'm assuming you meant you AREN'T fishing this year. Luckily, our license is not nearly as high. Thanks for the info on the parfaits! William was not really impressed when I showed him the picture...too frufru (is that a real word?) I think I'll just surprise him when I make them and not mention the wasabi...LOL. He LOVES the stuff!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by Gourmet_Mom (I'm assuming you mea...)
Doh! Yup meant "aren't". Brain is a little scrambled this am. Some low life stole the catalytic converter of Jennifer's truck - scumbags! Grrrrrrrr
  Re: Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by Harborwitch ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
Yep. Basa is wonderful. Wish I could get it here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: New fish! Well, at least for us! by labradors (Yep. Basa is wonder...)
Sharon, I found those large bags of wasabi a couple years ago and I'm almost half way thru it!! 'course I gave a little to houseboat Don...

Will have to keep an eye out for basa - if all you can get is farm raised, I guess I'd be sure to try it.

Speaking of off beat fish, I had some black cod collars in the freezer (from Capt. jay) and since they are so darn oily, I decided to try smoking them. Used apple wood and they were really very good - texture very much like a scallop, so what's not to love?? it's not something I'd search for, but if the capt. brings more at least I'll know what to do with them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com