Black Pepper
  Re: (...)
I was reading an article in another magazine about when to season "stuff" with black pepper. The consensus seemed to be that if you put fresh ground pepper on a steak 'before' you put it in the skillet you could get a slightly 'burned' pepper taste, but the pepper itself would have a milder taste. If you seasoned it 'after' it came off the grill/skillet you would have a more profound black pepper taste. Which do you do and possible why?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Black Pepper by bjcotton (I was reading an art...)
Billy, I always season my meat before cooking/grilling. Both with salt and pepper. I do not like the tasts/smell of meat cooking that has no seasoning on it at all. Just a quirk I have.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Black Pepper by esgunn (Billy, I always seas...)
We season ours as well before grilling - it seems that you can't get "enough" seasoning taste after the meat has been grilled - I have had it both ways and seasoning before is how Mister and I like it
I am with the others on this one. Seasoning with salt and pepper prior to cooking, especially grilling or searing, makes a world of difference. Freshly ground, of course.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Black Pepper by chef_Tab (I am with the others...)
One word: "blackened."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Black Pepper by labradors (One word: "blackened...)
Quote:

One word: "blackened."

"yeah, baby!"
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
I roast my peppercorns before using them anyway - I think it gives them a deeper flavor - and that just improves during grilling. We usually brush or rub a bit of olive oil on the meat first, making sure that it dry beforehand. Then we season it up with salt and pepper or whatever seasoning we want.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Black Pepper by Harborwitch (I roast my peppercor...)
I season before cooking too. Am Test Kitchen suggested for steak au poive to boil the whole peppercons briefly in a skillet--dry, and then crush them and put on the meat. It works--you can use a lot of pepper and get a lot of flavor without overpowering the dish.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Black Pepper by Old Bay (I season before cook...)
We season before cooking as well.
  Re: Re: Black Pepper by Trixxee (We season before coo...)
I'm with everyone else here -- before! I also try to get beef to room temp before putting on the grill.