Raspberries
  Re: (...)
Having the room to grow your own garden sure is satisfying, and money saving! Even if it is just a little bit. I had to buy some basil the other day at about $4.00 for 4oz - I am between my basil plants right now.

And I have been reading the grocery adds - and the Raspberries are going for $9.98 a half flat. I am picking that much every other day from my garden!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Raspberries by esgunn (Having the room to g...)
Good Lord!! Our whole side yard is raspberries!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Raspberries by esgunn (Having the room to g...)
WOW! Since the garden got going, I really haven't paid that much attention to produce prices...I just make do with what's growing. I am sooo glad I planted lots of basil this year. I use it sooo much. I still can't believe I forgot to get an oregano. My poor 3 parsley don't have time to get very big, I use them sooo much...LOL! At least the butterflies haven't found it!

Raspberries, huh? We've got ONE lone blueberry bush, but not enough to really do anything with. I can't imagine having raspberries! What are you doing with all those berries? Or do the kids munch them up faster than you can turn around...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Raspberries by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! Since the gard...)
Well, I picked TWO half flats of raspberries today!

Daphne, we eat them, the kids love them. They want me to make a raspberry pie. I make raspberry icecream. And most of them we freeze. Come November we make a lot of jam. What is left after jam making gets used in smoothies the rest of the year. I think I end up with between 15 and 20 gallon sized bags of frozen raspberries.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Raspberries by esgunn (Well, I picked TWO h...)
I think the answer is no, but we probably cannot grow raspberries in the southeast, can we? I LOVE raspberries but I don't think I've ever seen the plants in the nursery and don't think I've ever seen them at roadside stands or pick-your-own places here...
  Re: Re: Raspberries by carolekv (I think the answer i...)
Carole, I'm sure you're right. It must be the warm weather? Anyway, how cool to have 15 to 20 gallons!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Raspberries by Gourmet_Mom (Carole, I'm sure you...)
I think it was three years ago that Fredia and I juiced raspberries, marionberries, and Santa Rosa Plums. I am still using the juice to make sorbet and granita. Getting pretty low...need to find someone to help me again this year.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Raspberries by bjcotton (I think it was three...)
Oh, Daphne, you need to get more blueberry bushes! And you need to get different varieties. When I planted mine I had ordered them through the mail and they said to plant at least three varieties. That way they ripen at different times.

I started picking mine two weeks ago and will be picking for the next month. Last year the birds beat me to most of mine, but this year I went to the fabric store and picked up yards of bridal tulle. I thought I would be nice and use up the tail ends of the bolts. So my blueberries are covered with bright pink, lavender, green and yellow tulle, just blowing in the breeze. I haven't seen a single bird down there - I think they are scared to death!!!

Billy, what's a marionberry?
  Re: Re: Raspberries by iBcookin (Oh, Daphne, you need...)
Marionberries are a Northwest version of a blackberry - wonderful flavor.

I use our raspberries about the same way Erin does - but I don't put up as many with just the two of us. The neighbors help us out picking and enjoying!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Raspberries by iBcookin (Oh, Daphne, you need...)
Thanks for the tip on the tulle. I think something has been at our little bush as well. It was an accident we got it. YS was doing a yard job at a man's house and he was going to get rid of several. YS had loaded one, when a friend came along and told him not to get rid of the rest. I didn't even no we had it until I saw it blooming next to the pump house this spring. I will be adding some more.
Daphne