My father is in the hospital
  Re: (...)
This is probably going to sound like one of those phony 'email warnings' we all get. But its not.

My father was admitted into the hospital last night. His wife was out of town and decided to indulge in a very large meal. After consuming a great deal of food (and possibly a martini or two), he had indigestion. To remedy this he took a glass of baking soda and water. This home remedy concoction expanded and ruptured his stomach and burst. The force of the rupture also ruptured his spleen.

He was taken to the hospital by ambulance and had surgery. Currently, he is in the hospital in intensive care. I don't know what the prognosis is yet, but will keep you all posted.

This is a home rememdy my dad has used for years. When he as younger, occasionally it would make him throw up. He is 75 now so perhaps not as able to tolerate this treatment. There are a few rare cases of this that I have read about.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: My father is in the hospital by luvnit (This is probably goi...)
Oh Laura, how awful for him and your family!! That 'rememdy' has been around forever (probably as long as baking soda has been on the market!) - used to use it myself.

And, with him being alone, it could have been doubly bad if he couldn't have gotten help. Know he (and all of you) are in our thoughts and prayers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My father is in the hospital by cjs (Oh Laura, how awful ...)
Oh Laura! How horrible! I, too, have heard of this remedy for years. I think my dad used it on occasion. It must have been very scary for him...all alone! Thankfully he was able to call for help.

Please keep us informed. I will include him and your family in my prayers, as well!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My father is in the hospital by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Laura! How horri...)
Thank you both for your well-wishes. I will keep you all posted. I too have used this on occasion for an upset stomach (full of food), for relief. Who would have thought it could be so dangerous. I will never use it again. That is for sure. With all the antacids out there on the market, I think that the 'baking soda remedy' should be retired.

From my internet readings, there has only been 1 death associated with this scenerio so I hope for a full recovery for him. He's always been so healthy and hardly a sick day in his life. He's a very young 76 years old. You'd never guess his age by looking at him.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: My father is in the hospital by luvnit (This is probably goi...)
Oh, my soul, I hope things are looking up for him, Laura. My mother used to do that all the time and I used to get on her about it - she used soda a lot - she lived with me for 18 years before she passed away and whenever she cooked she always started stove fires and threw soda on the stove to stop them - we went through several stoves before I had to take her box of soda away -

sending up prayers for your father and your family ~~
  Re: Re: My father is in the hospital by (Oh, my soul, I hope ...)
Laura dear, I'll hold you and your family close in my thoughts and prayers. If you need to talk Sweetie, you've got my phone numbers. Use the cell since I'm not home.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: My father is in the hospital by luvnit (Thank you both for y...)
Oh Laura! Know that you and your family are in our prayers for a full a speedy recovery for your father.

Baking soda can do a lot of great things - but there are so many remedies that are safer - and more effective now. My Dad loved baking soda - once a week my brother and I were required to brush our teeth with salt and baking soda - until our gums were raw. Even 50+ years later the taste of baking soda makes me gag!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My father is in the hospital by Harborwitch (Oh Laura! Know that...)
Laura, you and your father are in my thoughts. Speedy recovery vibes being sent!
  Re: Re: My father is in the hospital by Trixxee (Laura, you and your ...)
OH how terrible Laura. I am keeping your father and your family in my prayers.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: My father is in the hospital by Harborwitch (Oh Laura! Know that...)
Sorry to hear this. Will keep him in prayer.

The problem with baking soda is that people often use way too much of it, or don't allow it to dissolve completely. One should never use more than 1/2 teaspoon, and that should be in 1/2 cup of water. Here are the instructions from Arm & Hammer:
Quote:

Will ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda work as an antacid?

Calm that rumbly in your tummy with ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda. It's is safe and effective as an antacid to relieve heartburn, acid indigestion, sour stomach, and upset stomach due to these symptoms when used as directed.

Warnings:
  • Do not use if you are on a sodium restricted diet unless directed by a doctor.
  • Ask a doctor or a pharmacist before use if you are taking a prescription drug. Antacids may interact with certain prescription drugs.
  • Do not administer to children under age 5.
  • STOMACH WARNING: TO AVOID SERIOUS INJURY, DO NOT TAKE UNTIL POWDER IS COMPLETELY DISSOLVED. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO TAKE THIS PRODUCT WHEN OVERLY FULL FROM FOOD OR DRINK. Consult a doctor if severe stomach pain occurs after taking this product.
  • Stop use and ask a doctor if symptoms last more than 2 weeks.
Directions:
Add 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 glass (4 fl. oz.) of water every 2 hours, or as directed by physician. Dissolve completely in water. Accurately measure 1/2 teaspoon.
Do not take more than the following amounts in 24 hours:
--Seven 1/2 teaspoons.
--Three 1/2 teaspoons if you are over 60 years.
Do not use the maximum dosage for more than 2 weeks.

Other Information:
Each 1/2 teaspoon contains 616 mg sodium.

Refer to the ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda package for detailed instructions before using.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?