Thursday's Menu??
  Re: (...)
I have some leftover halibut from last night, and that 'Blitz bread' Cis mentioned sounds so good, guess I'll do something with halibut sandwiches...

The remoulade for the shrimp & oyster po'boys (Sandwiches & Salads book) sounds good with it. Might have to pick up some watermelon.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Menu?? by cjs (I have some leftover...)
At this point in the day, I really couldn't tell ya. Waiting for my tagine and cookbooks
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Thursday's Menu?? by bjcotton (At this point in the...)
Bob was sick of pork - had pulled pork for lunch yesterday and the day before. Meatloaf and Mac & cheese last night. I am thinking of chili verdi enchiladas or empanadas tonight. We can bake them out on the grill. I'll have him grab some romaine and we'll have a big salad.

Tomorrow poor Bob gets a liquid diet - time for his big checkup Friday.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thursday's Menu?? by Harborwitch (Bob was sick of pork...)
UH....I know I've been a little distracted lately, but isn't today Wednesday?

I hate being broke....I get to play the-"let's see how cheaply dinner can be done game"! We had a couple unexpected expenses and well...you get the idea.

Last night, I bought a couple cans of tomatoes, the ones from the garden were used for pizza Sunday, and took the sausage I forgot to put with the shrimp Friday and our leftover chicken from Monday and made a gumbo/stew with rice. I've not got a clue for tonight! Last night's menu was inspired by desperation, since the dinner hour was closing in FAST!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Menu?? by Gourmet_Mom (UH....I know I've be...)
"UH....I know I've been a little distracted lately, but isn't today Wednesday?" so....what's your point??

Desperation sometimes makes for the best meals ever!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Menu?? by Gourmet_Mom (UH....I know I've be...)
Yes - today is Wednesday, tomorrow is Thursday and Bob gets a liquid diet all day with "special" before bed treats. Friday is the Dr. Tonight he gets a good dinner!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thursday's Menu?? by Harborwitch (Yes - today is Wedne...)
I'm making "Cuban Chicken Pizzas" but in reality I think they will morph into tacos for easy holding and handling.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Menu?? by Trixxee (I'm making "Cuban Ch...)
Those sound mighty interesting Trix, could you share the recipe?? Please?
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Thursday's Menu?? by farnfam (Those sound mighty i...)
Sure thing. I haven't made them yet so I can't quite vouch for them for another hour or so! I got this from Cooking Light but I will not be going THAT light (like fat free tortillas and cooking spray).

Cuban Chicken Pizza

Flour tortillas pinch-hit as a crisp crust for this hearty pizza loaded with chicken and vegetables. Toasting the corn in a skillet brings out its natural sweetness and adds a deliciously smoky note.

4 (8-inch) fat free flour tortillas
Cooking spray
1 (11-ounce) can no salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 cups diced roasted chicken breast
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 350°.
Place flour tortillas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from the oven; stack and press down to flatten. Set aside.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add corn to pan, and cook 1 minute or until lightly charred. Add cumin seeds; cook 5 seconds, stirring constantly. Add chicken, black beans, and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice.

Place tortillas on baking sheet. Spoon 3/4 cup bean mixture onto each tortilla; top each with 3 tablespoons of cheese. Bake at 350° for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts. Sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon cilantro.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pizza)

CALORIES 460 (20% from fat); FAT 10.2g (sat 4.8g,mono 2.9g,poly 1.7g); IRON 3.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 78mg; CALCIUM 210mg; CARBOHYDRATE 54.3g; SODIUM 760mg; PROTEIN 37.7g; FIBER 8.4g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipe..._id=833358
  Re: Re: Thursday's Menu?? by Trixxee (Sure thing. I have...)
sounds like an easy, fast dinner - and tasty also! One of my favorite combinations - black beans and corn. We're having black bean & corn salad tonight as a matter of fact.
www.achefsjourney.com