Eggplant Meatball Recipe and Review
  Re: (...)
This is easy to make and we thought it was quite delicious. Since I don't like to fry meatballs, I baked them in the oven for 20 minutes, then put the dish together and baked for another 20 minutes. Added a side of pasta for a tasty dinner. Definately will be making this one again.

* Exported from MasterCook *

EGGPLANT MEATBALLS

Recipe By :An Italian taxi driver in Cleveland
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 large eggplant -- peeled and diced
2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
3 cloves garlic -- crushed
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon basil
Salt and pepper -- to taste
2 Tablespoons olive oil -- for frying
Baking:
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
3/4 pound Muenster cheese -- thickly sliced

Place the diced, peeled eggplant in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.

Mix together the remaining ingredients for the meatballs. Drain the eggplant and allow it to cool for a moment. Mash the eggplant and mix it in with the meatball mixture. Form into 18 meatballs. Heat a large frying pan, add the oil, and brown the meatballs in two
batches.

Place the sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish. Set the meatballs in the sauce. Top with the grated cheese and finally with the thickly sliced (1/4 inch thick) Muenster cheese. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until all is hot and bubbly.

Source:
"The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine"
Yield:
"18 meatballs"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Eggplant Meatball Recipe and Review by Mare749 (This is easy to make...)
duly copied - thanks Maryann. I need to get some marinara sauce in the freezer anyway. looks/sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com