"Double the Yum" Cake
  Re: (...)
Now, this one we won't throw away!! The kids are going to love this one - and the adults will enjoy also.

Cake:
1 cup water
1 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
-----
3/4 cup creamy (I used super chunk) peanut butter
-----
Chocolate Topping:
12 oz. bag of semisweet (I used bittersweet) chocolate chips
2 T. vege shortening (author's note: not oil, butter or margarine)

Oven to 350 F. (175 C). Grease & flour 15-1/2X10-1/2X1-inch jelly roll pan; set aside.

For cake: In a small saucepan combine water, butter and cocoa and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat, set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda & salt; add eggs and sour cream and beat with elecric mixer on medium speed until well blended.

Add the cocoa mixture and beat just until blended (batter will be thin). Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or till wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Spread peanut butter evenly over warm cake. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

For Chocolate topping: Place chocolate chips and vege shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes; stir. If necessary, zap an aditional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.

Carefully spread over top, completely covering peanut butter. Allow topping to set before cutting into squares.

Makes 20-24 servings.
----

Made this yesterday for today's party - and it's very good with coffee this a.m.!! YUM is the word, that's for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: "Double the Yum" Cake by cjs (Now, this one we won...)
You're killing me, Jean, just killing me! OMG, I'm making this over the weekend! I'm assuming the recipe is calling for veg. shortening, like Crisco? All I need is that, the chocolate, the peanut butter, and a little more butter! Can't wait! Andrew doesn't care much for chocolate, neither does Wiliam for that matter. But give him a Reese's Cup, and he's in heaven! This ought to satisfy everybody.

I've got some friends who are going to kill me , though. I'll have to share or we'll eat it all!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: "Double the Yum" Cake by Gourmet_Mom ( [i]You're killing ...)
Quote:

"Double the Yum" Cake

Sounds great, but when I first saw the subject line, I thought it said, "Double the Rum." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: "Double the Yum" Cake by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
And of course, you jumped right in here...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: "Double the Yum" Cake by Gourmet_Mom (And of course, you j...)
This sounded so good, I added it to the dessert list for Teenage Daughter's Open House for tomorrow. Made it yesterday afternoon and I can't wait to cut into it! Went together very easily.
  Re: Re: "Double the Yum" Cake by HomeCulinarian (This sounded so good...)
We (and the house guests) are still nibbling on this cake - it's really good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: "Double the Yum" Cake by cjs (We (and the house gu...)
I couldn't stand it...I made this yesterday! OH MY! Definitely a keeper Jean! Thankfully, my neighbors and all their kids and grands are down, so I'll take about half of it over to them. Thanks Jean!
Daphne