Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken
  Re: (...)
I made this one last week for the family. It is from Cuisine Tonight Grilling (the newer one). You actually roast the chicken first in the oven, then finish with the sauce on the grill. Made it much easier for me to do the grilling. I made the sauce as written, except for adding the red pepper flakes since I was making it for the kids too. We really liked the sauce - and I am not a huge BBQ sauce fan. Originally Steve thought the sauce was too sweet, but once it was grilled on the chicken he said he liked it. I think it took slightly longer to reduce the root beer and I don't think I reduced it quite to 1/2 a cup. But it was plenty and the sauce was thick enough. Will definately make this again. especially the pre-cooking technique. I know it is cheating but just so much easier for me and our busy life.

One note - I cooked it earlier than dinner time, coated in the sauce and let is sit before grilling. Worked just fine.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by esgunn (I made this one last...)
Unless I'm doing boneless breasts, I always parcook my chicken, I just don't have time to babysit a grill for the entire time. That recipe looks good, it just might fly in this waaaaay-to-picky house of mine!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by pjcooks (Unless I'm doing bon...)
does sound good - hope I have that book. Speaking of the books, just rec'd the sandwich/soup book, but haven't had a chance to look at it.

Back to the chicken.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by cjs (does sound good - ho...)
I looked at that Erin, but I don't like root beer. I know...some would say that's un-American. Anyway, can you taste the root beer? I sure looked good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by Gourmet_Mom (I looked at that Eri...)
Daphne - I don't think it tasts like rootbeer. I wouldn't taste the sauce and say - boy that has rootbeer in it. But it does add a lot of flavor and sweetness to the sauce. It gets cooked down so much with the garlic and onion. I am not a fan of bourbon either - but I like it in sauces. It just adds a depth and different flavor.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by esgunn (Daphne - I don't thi...)
Thanks Erin, I will be trying this one very soon!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Erin, I will ...)
I made this last night and it as great. You could not taste the root beer at all. I made it with the pepper flakes and it as just the right amount of spice.
  Re: Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by Emmasmum (I made this last nig...)
I was looking for something and ran across this review and realized I'd not added my review. We had these last Wednesday night. The only change was that I used chicken leg quarters. We liked it VERY much. I'll be using this sauce recipe as well as the bourbon one, and the Bock beer one...LOL! I guess I DID finally find me some homemade BBQ sauce recipes this summer!

I will say, when I reheated my chicken for lunch Thursday, I was reminded of Laura's Sticky Wings....that was the consistency of this particular sauce. The Bock beer one is a little less sticky, and the bourbon one is the thinnest.
Daphne
  Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by esgunn (I made this one last...)
Erin, the the root beer taste cook down? I don't care for root beer but I like sweet sticky BBQ sauce -
  Re: Re: Review: Root Beer Barbecue Chicken by (Erin, the the root b...)
Sonja, NOBODY in my house likes root beer. But we LOVED this recipe. You can't taste it at all. I will say, you need to cook it down a lot longer than the recipe says. But yes, it's a nice sticky sauce.
Daphne