Need a Little Help -
  Re: (...)
I'm doing spiral hams for Sunday's wedding brunch and since we're having blueberry/maple syrup, applecider syrup and also fresh fruit with the granola, I'm really stuck for a baste for the hams. I normally do o.j. and maple syrup, but too much of that goin' on already.

N0 MINT, PLEASE - no pineapple.

Anyone have any ideas for a baste, even a savory one, maybe.

Hmmm, a light bbq sauce? a bourbon - Jack Daniels sauce? (oh, my). Coke? horseradish sauce?

You all have all night to ponder this and I hope it keeps some folks up, 'cause I'll probably be awake also.

thanks!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Need a Little Help - by cjs (I'm doing spiral ham...)
For Easter I did a (Dietrite)Peach soda with canned peaches and the spices typical for a peach pie (cinnamon, allspice, etc.). That was really good.

We've also done Baked Ham with the rub, pan fixin's, and baste for the Brown Sugar Bourbon Ribs - That was exceptional!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need a Little Help - by Harborwitch (For Easter I did a (...)
hmmm, the brown sugar bourbon is something I'll look at. Thanks Sharon.

Shoot, just looked at that one and it's got lots of apple cider in it - I'm already making an apple cider syrup...but I did pull up all the 'bourbon' ideas, will keep lookin.'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need a Little Help - by cjs (hmmm, the brown suga...)
What about something with coffee? A coffee rub and, or basting sauce? Maybe coffee and bourbon?
"There is no love sincerer than the love of food".
  Re: Re: Need a Little Help - by maggiemoo (What about something...)
Great idea and I have a coffee rub that I could add bourbon to for a baste!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need a Little Help - by cjs (Great idea and I hav...)
Jean, my mom used to use this one when I was a kid. We always loved it. Maybe you could play around with this. Now that I've seen the other posts, I just might have to play around with this one myself.

Ham Glaze
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 T. prepared yellow mustard
3 T. honey
1/8 tsp. ground cloves, optional

Heat ready cooked ham in 325 oven until 140 degrees. About 1/2 hour before done, spread on glaze. Makes enough glaze for 14 lb. ham.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need a Little Help - by Mare749 (Jean, my mom used to...)
What about a cranberry glaze?

1 cup cranberry chutney or sauce
1/4 dijon mustard
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice

combine all ingredients and spread 1/2 over the ham and let it bake for an hour. Then spread the rest of it over the ham and bake another hour or till ham reaches core temp of 140. If you want to sweeten it up a bit add tbs of honey.
  Re: Re: Need a Little Help - by DFen911 (What about a cranber...)
Wow - now I have to get more hams and try all these ideas! Thanks so much.

I finally went with a new combination that worked out really well - I'm pleased with the flavors.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sassy Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce

1 can crushed tomatoes -- (28 ounce)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Heinz Chili Sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons Classic Barbeque Rub (see next recipe)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa

In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, sugar, bourbon, ketchup, chili sauce, vinegars, Worcestershire sauce, and molasses, stirring after each additional ingredient to combine. Add the rub and simmer until the flavors have blended and the sauce has thickened somewhat, about 30 minutes.

Let the sauce cool for about 10 minutes, or until it is warm but no longer "boiling" hot. Puree using an immersion or traditional blender. Taste and adjust the seasonings with about 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remember, the ribs already will have plenty of spice rub on them, so don't over-season the sauce. Add the cocoa powder and mix well to combine.

Let the sauce sit for 5 minutes and stir again to make sure the cocoa powder is well distributed. Let the sauce cool and pour it into a clean glass jar for storing. The sauce can be made in advance and kept for two weeks in the refrigerator.

Brush it on meat 30 minutes before the cooking time is finished. If desired, serve extra on the side. makes 4 cups

Recipe courtesy from Taming the Flame, by Elizabeth Karmel

-----

thanks so much for all the help.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need a Little Help - by cjs (Wow - now I have to ...)
Sounds delish, but where is the Classic BBQ rub? I'll have to be trying this one soon, we just loved the Bourbon Sauce that I bought on vacation.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need a Little Help - by Mare749 (Sounds delish, but w...)
ooops! I used some that I had -didn't have time to make it. I'll add it (later) it sounds good - sorry.
www.achefsjourney.com