Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds
  Re: (...)
Made this for dinner with a salad last night and they are delicious!! I subbed toasted pine nuts for the poppy seeds.

Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds (Casunziei)

4 large or 8 medium roasted beets (see sidebar)
2 eggs
1/2 cup ricotta -- preferably fresh, drained briefly
20 tablespoons butter -- (2 1/2 sticks) melted
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 recipe Egg Pasta Dough (see below)
2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano -- or more to taste
4 teaspoons poppy seeds

1. Put the beets in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the plastic blade and process until they're finely chopped (or chop them finely with a knife or pastry cutter). Transfer to a large bowl and add the eggs, ricotta, and H cup of the melted butter; stir to combine. Season liberally with salt and pepper, stir, taste, and add more salt or pepper if necessary. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.

2. To make the ravioli: Lay a length of rolled pasta out on a counter lightly dusted with flour and place small teaspoonfuls of the filling evenly on half of the dough, about 1 inch apart. Brush some water between the mounds of filling so the dough will stick together, and fold the unfilled half of the dough over onto the other, carefully pressing outward from the filling to the edges of the pasta, eliminating any pockets of air. Cut between the ravioli with a pastry wheel or sharp paring knife, and keep the ravioli separate from each other until you are ready to cook. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil and turn the oven on to its lowest setting; warm 4 pasta bowls in it.

3. Drop the ravioli into the boiling salted water, cooking them in batches if necessary. They will take about 3 minutes to cook. When they're done, they will float, the filling will be firm, and the pasta tender.

4. Portion the ravioli out among the warmed pasta plates. Pour some of the remaining melted butter over each portion, grate Parmigiano- Reggiano over each to taste, and finish each plate with a large pinch of poppy seeds. Serve immediately.

Note: The best pasta contains just three ingredients: flour, eggs, and salt. It varies only in the ratio of flour to eggs and the technique. This recipe, a combination of my own experience and that of Gabrielle Hamilton of Prune and Anna Klinger of Al di La, can be used for Gabrielle's Pasta Kerchiefs, Anna's Beet Ravioli, or any other recipe calling for freshly made pasta. (I guess we all who make pasta have our favorite recipe for it-but I’ll post this one if anyone wants.)

Cook the finished pasta as soon as it's done, or allow the sheets to dry for a few hours (or even a few days) and cook them later.

Description:
"From: Episode 12 of Bittman Takes on America's Chefs Chef: Anna Klinger"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Makes: 3 or 4 main course or about 6 first course servings
Time: 1 hour, plus time to make the pasta

I took a picture, but haven't looked at them yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by cjs (Made this for dinner...)
Thanks Jean. The beets are about ready to come out of the garden and this recipe seems more like something my family would like.

We've never tried beets other than pickled and this may be a way to introduce them in a new way before trying the other recipes I've collected here. Then I can branch out.

I'd also get to try my hand at ravioli before I attempt that salmon recipe I want to try.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by cjs (Made this for dinner...)
Oh Jean!!! Well - off to the Farmers' Market Sunday. Geeze this sounds soooooo good. To top it off, a good friend just brought me a bunch of fresh homemade ricotta.

Daphne - did I post that I used some more of the Rhubarb, raspberry jalapeno jam on some fresh beets? I recall one of our dinner guests licking the serving bowl. His girlfriend begged me for the recipe.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by Harborwitch (Oh Jean!!! Well - o...)
"Transfer to a large bowl and add the eggs, ricotta, and H cup of the melted butter;" - this is how the stupid recipe was on the site! I just used 4 T. (1/4 cup) for a half batch of stuffing and it was a good amount, incorporated nicely.

"4. Portion the ravioli out among the warmed pasta plates. Pour some of the remaining melted butter over each portion, grate Parmigiano- Reggiano over each to taste, and finish each plate with a large pinch of poppy seeds. Serve immediately."

This is really the important part. We all have ravioli recipes, but oh, the drizzle of melted butter, freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and toasted pine nuts...died and gone to heaven!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by cjs ("Transfer to a large...)
I cannot wait to make these. Now red beets or golden beets??? Or some of each??? Perhaps plated with some steamed beet greens (with some duck cracklings) - oh my my.
  Re: Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by Harborwitch (I cannot wait to mak...)
Now Sharon, that rhubarb and Jalapeno jam? Pretty please.

I love beetroot any and every way, must be lacking in something. We mostly have it pickled or ribboned, but this sounds seriously terrific.
  Re: Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by vannin (Now Sharon, that rhu...)
Here you go! This stuff is so good - on everything.

Rhubarb Raspberry jam
  Re: Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by Harborwitch (Here you go! This s...)
Printed Sharon, you are a gem, thank you.
  Re: Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by vannin (Printed Sharon, you ...)
Thank you - but Jean is the genius who first posted this.
  Re: Re: Beet Ravioli with Butter and Poppy Seeds by Harborwitch (Thank you - but Jean...)
LOL! Slowly Sharon! One new one at a time! I'm growing beets. I'll add the rhubarb later. It's readily available at the grocer....for now. HMMMM??????
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.