Tuesday's Dinner?
  Re: (...)
What's everyone up to? I think I need to clean out the freezer, but I still have to do the review dinner, and there is a tuna & bean salad I've been wanting to make.

I'm making two muffin recipes today -another test for the wedding brunch. One a banana-nut with a orange marmalade butter and a savory muffin, with cumin, cornmeal and corn to be served with a lime butter. Hope they both turn out, then I'm done testing, I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by cjs (What's everyone up t...)
We've got some handmade tamales in the freezer - bought 2 dozen; one chicken (for Jennifer) and a pork for us. But I forgot to label them! Oooops. Jenn just wasn't into "try it and see" So I think tamales in a mole sauce (I think I have some in the freezer), Anasazi beans, and ????? Guacamole, tortillas, and ?????? Oh - and maybe I'll make some Horchata - gonna go print the recipes now.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by Harborwitch (We've got some handm...)
Cedar plank chicken. That's as far as I got
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by cjs (What's everyone up t...)
Baby Back Ribs with homade BBQ sauce; Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes with Shallots, Chives, Bacon & Lemon Vinaigrette and probably a simple lettuce salad.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by smschwag (Baby Back Ribs with ...)
Oh who had the recipe for the rub for ribs? Dangit it's not in my watched threads list. I have 2 racks of pork spare ribs that I'll do this weekend. (Thanks for the idea )
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by DFen911 (Oh who had the recip...)
Quote:

Oh who had the recipe for the rub for ribs?

I think a couple of us have posted about that. Here's the one I use:

Spice rub for ribs

2 T Cumin
1 T Chile powder
1 T dry mustard
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t Cayenne
1 1/2 t Cardamom
1 1/2 t Cinnamon
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Ok I like that one Who had the asian rub mixture?
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Sharon (Harbourwitch) shared this as a rub for a 15 hour BBQ Brisket recipe a while back on another site. When I went to make the BBQ Corned Beef Brisket, I tried it with that and fell in love with it. I've tried several since then, but this remains a favorite. I've used it on the corned beef, chicken (just last night again), and ribs! Now you've got choices...LOL! If you want to add more heat, I'd add cayenne a teaspoon or half at a time to taste.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BBQ rub

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons celery seed
4 tablespoons garlic powder
4 tablespoons onion powder
5 1/4 tablespoons chili powder
5 1/4 tablespoons black pepper
5 1/4 tablespoons paprika

Mix ingredients well.

Coat meat with a thick layer of rub and allow to sit 1 or 2 hours before putting on grill.

NOTES : 3-24-08 I tried this on a corned beef brisket on the grill. I halved the recipe for a 4 1/2 pound brisket. After it rested for 2 hours, I put it on a screaming hot grill for 5-7 minutes per side. I wrapped the meat in heavy foil, topped with a tomato based BBQ sauce, Chicken and Ribs was in the fridge, so I used that...and several slices of onion. Seal with foil and set temp on grill to 350 to 375 degrees. I basted it every 15 to 20 minutes after the first hour, but I don't know that this is necessary. After 3 hours, I took it out of the foil and coated it with more BBQ sauce, and cooked it for an additional 7 minutes per side. Next time I think I'll reduce the heat to 250 to 300 and cook longer than the 3 hours I did this time. I also want to cook it out of the foil for longer to create a little more "crust" on the meat. It was VERY good!

OOPS! I've not got a CLUE what's for dinner. All I know is SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!!!!! (Picture Alice Cooper)

(Got a half day work day tomorrow and it's out for me also!)

YIIIIIPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>Doing the Happy Dance<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon (Harbourwitch...)
Happy summer to you, Daphne!!

Denise, here's one that a lot of us like - I have so many for ribs, I've lost count!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Asian Lime Ribs

For the Cucumber Salad-
Puree in Blender:
10 fresh mint leaves -- (10 to 15)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 t. fresh ginger -- chopped
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
Toss with:
1 English cucumber -- thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
For Rib Rub-
Combine -- Rub on Two Racks of Spareribs:
2 T. ground cinnamon
2 T. kosher salt
2 T. black pepper
1 T. ground cloves
1 T. ground coriander
For the Asian-Lime Sauce-
Stir Together:
3 T. ginger -- coarsely chopped
2 T. garlic -- coarsely chopped
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 T. dark sesame oil
1 T. crushed red pepper flakes

Grill; Serve with:
Cucumber Salad
Asian-Lime dipping sauce

Puree in blender the mint leaves, sugar, vinegar, ginger, and red pepper flakes for the Cucumber Salad.

Toss with thinly sliced cucumber. Serve chilled.

To prepare two racks of spareribs first remove the skirt flap from the sinew side of the ribs. This can be grilled. Then, cut off the breast plate and feather bones. This can be grilled. Remove the sinewy membrane by pulling with a paper towel. Trim some of the unnecessary fat from the ribs. "Dock" the meat with a fork between the bones for extra flavor.

Combine ingredients for rub and apply to ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roast ribs at 250° for about 2 hours. This isn't an exact science so check the ribs after 1 1/2 hours. The meat should pull away from the bones and the fat should be rendered. Roasting may take longer.

Stir together ingredients for sauce. Brush on roasted racks of ribs before grilling.

Grill over medium-high heat a total of 15 minutes. Serve ribs with Asian-Lime Sauce and chilled mint cucumbers.

Description:
"Cuisine at home, August 2002, Issue 34, p. 15 - Makes 26 spareribs"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And my muffins turned out wonderful!! Espcially the Southwestern ones (with corn)- have to make the butter yet to try with them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner? by cjs (Happy summer to you,...)
Jean, was this the one we tried for your birthday dinner review? I've got to go back and revisit that one. If memory serves, I screwed that one up and overcooked the ribs...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.